is this worng to tell musicians this? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 19th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Major Player

is this worng to tell musicians this?

i make music videos, however i will not make a music video if the artist/song promotes Guns,killing, or Racism.

Is it to blunt to just flat out tell an artist that?
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Major Player

No sense beating around the bush. I would use your morals to attract a better clientèle through advertising, for instance on the website. I would definitely ask for a copy of the lyrics. a great many rap artists have to release a "clean" version as well as a "dirty" one, so the clean one can be sold places like walmart, who has been known to not allow certain language and pictures. You need to decide if you will film a clean version if they request it.

just my opinion :)
Allen Plowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I've done a lot of music video's and I and the decision is ultimately up to you. I would at least listen to the song and see if it goes against your values. Don't do something that takes a lot of time if you're not willing to put your name on it. You may be able to persuade them to choose another song for a video. It may be difficult to get it played if promotes those issues.
Corey Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM   #4
Major Player

One of the secrets to success in a highly competitive business is to find a niche that is underserved and become dominant there. You can tell potential customers what you shoot and what you don't shoot without being blunt, it's all in how you package it. Aren't there some organizations promoting non-violent, non-{fill in hot button} music? Hook up with them and see if they can't send some work your way.
Jim Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Major Player

It's not too blunt if it's true.
Craig Parkes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #6
Wrangler

In the music video business, director sensibilities and the genres of music they serve kind of find each other.

I've been approached for R&B work, gangster rap, etc etc. There was a time when it was hard to turn down that work (because it was experience, when I really needed it).

In the end, the words often come out something like this: "I'm flattered you've come to me, but I think I know a director who can do a better job for you". My personal feeling is that videos with cars, butts and guns really don't need to be made.

So in other words, while I have feelings on the matter, I don't feel a need to be confrontational about it.
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #7
Major Player

They have their artistic integrity. You have yours.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 08:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Ask a gangsta rap artist if he'd cover a Michael Bolton song. I guarantee you'll get a "hell no, who do you think I am?" or worse. :) Your artistic integrity is no less deserving of a 'hell no' than his, if you are asked to do something equally against what you think is right. :)

Just had to give an off the wall perspective, and I've had Office Space on my mind recently. :)

Carl
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:15 PM   #9
Major Player

thanks and yea I'm mostly referring to the gansta rap.
Dave Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #10
Major Player

I guess Johnny Cash would be out of the question as well...
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Harris View Post
I guess Johnny Cash would be out of the question as well...
Naah. Cash has some very spiritual and humble songs. So long as you don't listen to the Folsom album. ;)

By the way - you guys hear about the tribute concert at Folsom Prison? They were unable to pull it off due to liability issues is my understanding. Figures.

C
Old January 20th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morgan View Post
i make music videos, however i will not make a music video if the artist/song promotes Guns,killing, or Racism.

Is it to blunt to just flat out tell an artist that?
I wouldn't lecture the prospective client on the point but there's no reason you should ever feel obligated to accept work that goes against your personal values. There are certain professions where this might not be true, such as I don't think pharmacists have the right to refuse to fill scripts for birth-control even if it violates their personal sense of morality - their license for a career in the public service trumps their personal values in cases like that - but those are exceptions that prove the rule. As a contractor, especially one providing a non-essential service, you are completely free to accept or reject any client or project for whatever reasons you choose. I would be a little cautious in exactly HOW you go about rejecting a project, especially if you're talking to a gangst'a rapper with a bulge under the armpit of his jacket - a POLITE refusal without going into too much detail as to your reasons would definitely be the order of the day <grin>.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business