Standard Legit Actors Agreement Form? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 7th, 2008, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Standard Legit Actors Agreement Form?

Anyone have a link to a standard actors agreement form? Something that isn't too complicated? I am shooting a video for a contest where I need my actors to sign a form agreeing that they will appear in my short. Or maybe some tips of writing my own form?

Also if I am shooting on my friends property do I need him to sign a location agreement as well?
Joel Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 10:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Bradley View Post
Also if I am shooting on my friends property do I need him to sign a location agreement as well?
I've had my mother sign a location release. Mind you, it was at a business location, but you get the point. :) Always always always, friend or not, get the release signed. a pen and paper agreement means that your friend can't sue you if he decides he's not as good of a friend as you thought, etc.

C
Old February 8th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #3
Trustee

there are some on the web if you search

Here are some we've used:

Regardless of the rules for the contest you should always get release forms signed - even if it's not for a contest
Attached Files
File Type: doc locationrelease.doc (4.4 KB, 852 views)
File Type: doc talent release form.doc (29.0 KB, 1604 views)
Old February 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If they are all 18 do they still need a legal guardian sign?

BTW thanks guys for the help!
Joel Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Bradley View Post
If they are all 18 do they still need a legal guardian sign?
shouldn't think so - depends on the laws in your country - I included it as it's a catch all form
Old February 9th, 2008, 08:25 PM   #6
Major Player

One Caveat, I believe and have been told, that in order for it to be a legal contract, the "actor" must receive something of value in return. Even $1, will suffice.
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mecca View Post
One Caveat, I believe and have been told, that in order for it to be a legal contract, the "actor" must receive something of value in return. Even $1, will suffice.
Not true. Consideration can be anything, including the value of the exposure actor gets in film....$ 1 requirement is really a myth... In fact in the 48 hour Film contests, the participant must sign a release and one of the rules of the contest is that no one gets paid for any work.
Old February 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Before I say anything, let me preface my remarks by saying that I am not an attorney. I don't offer legal advice. Anything I say can be and probably is wrong and you shouldn't pay any attention.

I'm not an attorney and officially know nothing. Don't rely on anything I say. Everything I say is probably wrong!

Enough disclaimers???

I think if you look at any text on contracts, you'll find that three thing are required for the formation of a contract; an offer, an acceptance, and a consideration, which can be monetary, or the performance of an action, or even the forbearance from the performance of an action. Contracts can be written or verbal, althought the written kind are much to be preferred.

If you're the little piggy with a straw house, and I'm the wolf, and you offer to paint my picture if I agree not to blow down your house and I agree, and we sign a piece of paper, we don't yet have a contract. As soon as I refrain from blowing down your house, bingo, the contract is formed, and you're on the hook for one picture of a fat old wolf, because I've provided the consideration,or thing of value, of not doing anything to your house. Unless of course there's some law that says that it's illegal to blow down houses, made of straw or otherwise, in which case the contract won't be worth the paper its written on.

Put another way, if I ask you to sign a model release and appear in my video, and you agree to sign it and appear in my video, and I do indeed make the video and you do indeed appear in it, then we've both acted in a manner consistent with the existence of the agreement, which I believe satisfies the requirement of a consideration, and I think it would be hard to argue that the release isn't valid, regardless of whether I pay you any money or not.

Of course, regardless of anything we've agreed to, we can always sue each other, and it is then up to the court to decide if we had a legitimate agreement or not, and there are a zillion things that could influence the decision one way or the other. There's no "right thing" anyone can do to keep themselves out of court, just things they can do to improve the odds of surviving the experience.

To put it simply, I don't think you need to pay anyody anything for signing the model release - unless that's part of the agreement under which they appear in your video.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 08:10 AM   #9
Major Player

<INSERT ALL OF JIM'S DISCLAIMERS HERE>
Yes, I cheated. ;)

I tend to give everyone involved a copy of the final product anyways, and for most people willing to help in such a production for free it does one of two things - portfolio work if they're trying to get started in the business, or a really cool DVD/pictures/etc to show the friends and family. Either which way, it is an item of value.... and I would think worthy of the term fair consideration.

C
Old February 10th, 2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Good info guys.

Yeah I'm not working with a huge budget, or even "real" actors. Just my friends, so I don't have money or anything to pay them. I just told them their going to have a good time, and I'll probably order us a pizza or something. The advantages of having friends be in your films. Haha.
Joel Bradley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business