DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   American Idol Parody - Questions (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/115514-american-idol-parody-questions.html)

Tim Bickford February 22nd, 2008 06:00 PM

American Idol Parody - Questions

I would like to produce an American Idol Parody. I would like to use the acutal "American Idol" logo... but edited to read "Some-Name Idol". I would also like to use the original Americal Idol music. And of course... spoof / parody the show. For example... "Hillbilly Idol" with Hillbilly judges and freaky contestants. That's really not the parody.. just an example.

The parody could end up for sale on a DVD along with non related video material.

Q - Can I do all these things as a parody, sell in on DVD, without the significant risk of having the network sicking lawers on me?

Thanks...

Chris Harris February 22nd, 2008 07:02 PM

Don't do it man! Go royalty-free all the way! It'll make you that much more proud of your work, plus you'll have much less risk of any trouble.

You can do this while still maintaining the obvious American Idol parody factor.

Tim Bickford February 22nd, 2008 08:18 PM

Chris-

I take it that you mean... use my own music and title?

Please explain more.

Thanks

Benjamin Hill February 23rd, 2008 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bickford (Post 831101)
I would like to produce an American Idol Parody. I would like to use the acutal "American Idol" logo... but edited to read "Some-Name Idol". I would also like to use the original Americal Idol music. And of course... spoof / parody the show. For example... "Hillbilly Idol" with Hillbilly judges and freaky contestants. That's really not the parody.. just an example.

The parody could end up for sale on a DVD along with non related video material.

Q - Can I do all these things as a parody, sell in on DVD, without the significant risk of having the network sicking lawers on me?

Thanks...

I would take Chris' suggestion. Easy enough to do an effective parody without copyright infringement.

Steve House February 23rd, 2008 10:42 AM

Parody is considered one of the uses that fall under the "Fair Use" doctrine spelled out in copyright law but remember that while it is a defense if you are sued alleging infringment, you're still going to have to have deep enough pockets to pay a lawyer to assert that defense for you in court. Do you feel lucky? Well ... do ya?

Tim Bickford February 23rd, 2008 11:16 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I guess anyone can try to sue anyone for anything. If Fox is the Plaintiff they will likely have an army Lawyers. Am an army of one.

Considering the above... I suppose my question should really be... how do I minimize the potential of being sued for producing and selling the parody.

So far I think I should:

1) Use royalty free music instead of the actual American Idol theme song.

2) Use my own original logo that looks completely different than the American Idol logo.

If I was to rename the parody to "some-name Idol"... would I further reduce my risk if I just removed the "Idol" name all together? Something like... "American Icon"? That name is probably already taken... just an example.

I guess I'm not sure what Chris means by "Go royalty-free all the way"? I'm assuming royalty-free music, logo, and name.

Thanks again!

Chris Davis February 23rd, 2008 11:37 AM

American Idol is easy enough to parody without using their music or logo. You can use the word "Idol", since they certainly don't have a copyright on the use of that word.

Chris Harris February 23rd, 2008 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Bickford (Post 831433)
So far I think I should:

1) Use royalty free music instead of the actual American Idol theme song.

2) Use my own original logo that looks completely different than the American Idol logo.

If I was to rename the parody to "some-name Idol"... would I further reduce my risk if I just removed the "Idol" name all together? Something like... "American Icon"? That name is probably already taken... just an example.

I guess I'm not sure what Chris means by "Go royalty-free all the way"? I'm assuming royalty-free music, logo, and name.

That's exactly what you should do. Go for the royalty free American Idol sounding music, use your own logo/intro animation, and with or without the word "Idol". It won't leave much to the imagination of the viewers.

If you need some royalty-free background animations, you should try Digital Juice. They have tons of background animations, music, and other useful templates. I remember seeing a couple free background animations they have that are American Idol-looking... You have to register an account, and then you can take a look at the "DJ Downloads", which are all the freebies they give out. Of course, if you're a Motion or After Effects artist, you probably won't need any of that.

Good luck with your project!

Chris Davis February 23rd, 2008 04:22 PM

They're not only "American Idol-looking", but American Idol actually uses Digital Juice backgrounds. They have several pages of free downloads you can use. Or you can always buy them. They always have some great deal going on.

Tim Bickford February 23rd, 2008 05:44 PM

Thank you all for you help. This really helps. When the project is complete I will be sure to post a link in this post.

Thanks again!