Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 18 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 22nd, 2006, 09:43 PM   #256
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen A. George
In the past I have been tagged with an anti-terrism rider when I shoot in NYC. I don't know if that's still true or not. It may be true for the DC area as well.
I give up, what's that for? In case an anti-terrorism squad shoots you by accident?
Old January 23rd, 2006, 08:07 AM   #257
New Boot

It's just another way for the insurance companies to make more money.

I was asked if I would be shooting in Manhattan or the NYC mtropolitan area.
I said I was shooting all over the area including Manhattan, New Jersey & Westchester County.
The agent told me that on the days I would be in the NYC metropolitan area I would have to pay an added "fee" because of the threat of terrorism in the area. This was 3 years after 9/11.

I called a producer friend in NYC and she told me this was just an added cost of doing business in NYC post 9/11.

I guess it doesn't fall under the "Act of God" catagory.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM   #258
Major Player

Thanks. So its not added coverage, just added cost (because they can).
Old January 23rd, 2006, 01:13 PM   #259
Regular Crew

Marshall Entertainment Insurance in Orlando, reasonable rates for most any production.

If you are doing a big crew shoot in Florida, you need to have insurance, no doubt. But insurance companies in general blow!
Dave Herring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2006, 03:38 PM   #260
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Costa
Thanks. So its not added coverage, just added cost (because they can).
It is added coverage... in the event of a terrorist attack.
That you have to pay for. (not justified IMO)
Or... you won't get production insurance shooting in NYC.
As was my experience 08/05.
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:34 AM   #261
Regular Crew

prevention against theft? insurance?

Hi, I bought a $1500 camera, and probably 1000-1500 worth of accessories.

I got robbed recently and lost $1500 of various electronics (although none of my video equipment for some reason).

I have renter's insurance, so I had some coverage. But if I'm out on a shoot somewhere, I don't know whether renter's insurance would apply.

I'm still an independent (i.e, not making any money), but that could conceivably change. it won't be a primary income source. Still, theft of video equipment on the road could really devastate me.

How do you handle the security question? What precautions can I take? What sort of insurance options are available? What shooting situations tend to be the most fraught with danger?

Off the top of my head, my solution would be to make sure I don't shoot alone, but always have someone with me. And leave things in the trunk as much as I can. (But if someone breaks into my car/trunk? Is that typically covered by renter's insurance)?

Robert Nagle
Robert Nagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 11:57 AM   #262
Air China Pilot

There have been multiple threads about this which will come up when you do a search.

In general, (and this is how I covered myself), you can get a rider for certain items from your insurance provider that is part of your homeowners or even renters insurance. The insurance company will already have a value for the equipment or an equivalent providing you have proof of ownership. Obviously, you pay an extra fee on top of your premium for these items.

The other issue to research is whether it is commercial or non-commercial. These riders are meant to cover the average homeowner who wants to protect their laptop or personal camera equipment, not someone who uses it as their primary source of income.

As for security, by all means shoot with a trusted partner. No security system in the world can protect something that isn't watched.
Old January 30th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #263
Wrangler

Yeah, the only real answer to your question is "talk to your insurance agent." I did and they researched it; in my case they said equipment would not be covered if it was being used for business purposes, and my homeowners policy maxxed out at $5,000 anyway.

Give your agent all your info and ask them to recommend the proper policy. In my case I think I'm paying about $200 annually to cover $15,000 worth of equipment. In previous threads others have reported even better deals. In my case, I wanted to be sure I was covered when traveling out of the US so that might have been a factor in the cost.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:23 PM   #264
Inner Circle

Boyd,

That seems like a good rate. Who are you insured with? BTW, I believe it's best to pay for full replacement value insurance rather than depreciated value since it's likely new gear you'll be buying if stuff is stolen.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:51 PM   #265
Inner Circle

I have all my gear covered thru RVNuccio (a broker) who places policys with Firemens Fund. Including a million in liability covering about 30k in gear my rate is about $400 per year. I asked my HO policy agent whom I've been with for 25 years (covers cars also) and they wouldn't touch the gear either as a rider or a business, so I went to another insurance company but they were kind of high and wanted all of my insurance so after a few years with them I went to Nuccio. So far so good, of course I haven't filed a claim but I feel pretty good sinces it's with Firemens Fund.

RVNuccio.com

Don B
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 04:20 PM   #266
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman
Boyd,

That seems like a good rate. Who are you insured with?
I went to my State Farm agent since I already had auto, homeowners and liability policies through them. But honestly, I didn't even shop around so you might be able to do better.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 12:41 AM   #267
Regular Crew

Rental Insurance

Hi Everyone,

I have a question. I'm thinking about going through a rental company to acquire equipment for a short I'll be doing. The question I have is in regards to insurance. Do rental companies typically offer their own policy if you don't have an external service? How much would they charge on say . . . a $700 order? Thanks!

Matthew Overstreet
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #268
New Boot

Hey Matthew.

Some rental companies offer their own independent insurance coverage, but not all. The cost will vary depending on the cost of your rental, and the peroid of you rental. I would guess it would be in the neighbor hood of $100 for a week.

Just to give you an idea of the cost, I rented $2200 worth of equipment in Los Angeles for a week, and the cost for insurance was $200.00. not to bad.

Hope this helps.
Cody Mielke
http://www.guerillarentals.com
Cody Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 08:02 AM   #269
Major Player

It does indeed depend upon the rental house. The place I rent from will allow non-insurance holders to either purchase coverage from them, or if the amount of rental is low enough they will charge a deposit to your credit card which is immediately refunded upon return. The also give me a discount since the rental fee is prepaid on the credit card.

If you're just doing a one weekend short and shooting mini-dv you can probably go this route. I think the cut off is like 5000 or so.

I've actually worked with several rental companies that handle it this way. One you basically had to do a credit app with them.

There are ways around paying for the insurance though. If you are at all concerned about loss, theft or significant damage you should go with the insurance.
Reid Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2006, 11:41 AM   #270
Regular Crew

It's glad to hear that it doesn't cost THAT much. I just wanted a rough estimate that I could put on my budget outline. Thank you.
Matthew Overstreet is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business