Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old March 9th, 2006, 06:18 PM   #271
Major Player

Equipment Insurance

Hello,

Being a new owner of the HD100, I am looking for insurance for my camera package.

So far I've found a company called RV Nuccio & Associates. They are in LA and they are registered with the California Insurance Comission. They seem legit but has anyone had to file a claim with them?

Are there any better or cheaper insurance companies for my gear?

Thanks.
Scott
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #272
Wrangler

See the following:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60744
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=59436
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2006, 07:31 PM   #273
Wrangler

Scott,

I know you are insuring a HD100, but I moved this to "Taking Care of Business," because equipment insurance applies to everything.
Old April 8th, 2006, 04:28 AM   #274
Regular Crew

insurance

How do you insure your equipments, the camera, the steadicam...?

I read my renter insurance contract, and apparently they only insure 10% of my properties when they are not at my place.
So I'm trying to see if I could get a insurance at a reasonable price.

Any advices?

Thanks,
Best Regards,
Quoc
Quoc Peyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #275
Inner Circle

Some use a company like State Farm others like myself use a broker like RVNuccio who places policys thru Firemans Fund and gives me $1 million is liability and covers ALL of my gear that I take out on jobs for a nominal fee per year.

Search around you'll find some good and some not so good deals out there.

Don

Wranglers!!!!!!!! maybe you can move this to a place where it would get more play-I thinks we be in the wrong place ;-)

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2006, 09:46 AM   #276
Wrangler

Hi Quoc, I moved your thread to our business forum where insurance has been discussed frequently do a search here for more info. Another thing to consider, your homeowners/renters insurance probably won't cover any equipment used for business purposes... talk to an agent for the full story.
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #277
Regular Crew

Thank you for the info.

Best Regards,
Quoc
Quoc Peyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 08:48 AM   #278
Regular Crew

Insurance?

What is the best way to get your camera insured against damage/disaster? I bought the extended warranty, but my work involves a lot of scenarios where my camera may be more exposed than I'd like.

I'm looking into starting a small production company and going with small business insurance, but I haven't heard anything back from my friend about that, and I'd liek to make sure the camera is insured in the meantime.
Jason Boyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:29 AM   #279
Wrangler

Hi Jason,

This discussion would be a better fit in our business forum since it has nothing to do with the brand of camera. Have a look at the following for starters:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=60744
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=59436
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=53920
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=10475
Old June 9th, 2006, 09:39 AM   #280
Capt. Quirk

Small business insurance as a Rider on Renter's insurance?

We are currently renting a home, and I'm using one room as an office. The property manager has no problem with it, but insists I have some sort of insurance. I can't figure out why, as I don't have clients in, and won't be doing any shoots on the property.

So, what kind of policy should I look for in Florida? Any ideas?
Old June 10th, 2006, 07:19 AM   #281
Go Go Godzilla

Jason,

Some quick advice:

- Make sure you get a commercial-type of insurance policy. Homeowners or renters insurance is very limited in it's scope of coverages especially when it comes to liability and loss outside of your residence or personal vehicle.

- Zurich is a company that I've been dealing with for years. My policy has a 5 million liability rider and about $120,000 worth of umbrella coverage. The cost is about $1500 a year. This is an average. Hartford is another great company with stellar ratings but the same coverage with them will set you back about $3000 a year.

- If you plan on making a business out of your video work then you should get a corporation setup of some sort, either LLC, S, or C. Ask your CPA or family attorney which is best suited to your needs. The main reason for doing this, is in the event somebody sues you - over anything - that you have a separation of assets. This would prevent losing your home and car in event of a lawsuit, otherwise everything you own would be fair game in a judgement against you.

So really, you need two kinds of insurance: Protection for your professional equipment against loss, damage or theft and lawsuit protection.
Old June 30th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #282
Regular Crew

Zurich

Robert, what type of insurance do you have with Zurich? is it a small business policy? i need to get insurance for a shoot and it seems that getting a yearly policy is better. thanks for the advice.
Old August 7th, 2006, 03:47 AM   #283
Inner Circle

Another insurance question - but this time in UK

Hi all,

I am looking to get insurance for a single Canon XL2, used in commercial video production and not rented out or loaned to others. Anyone from the UK got any recommendations for a decent company that might offer this kind of cover?

Cheers.

Ian . . .
Ian Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:34 AM   #284
Regular Crew

Sorry this isn't a recommendation, rather a warning that if you want cover on just one item the insurers will probably have a minimum premium which will make it relatively expensive.

Do you have any other business insurance policies which you can add it on to?
Paul Doherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:49 AM   #285
Inner Circle

Good point. My other insurance policies are for liability not kit. This is actually the first time I have owned the camera myself - previously I've used a camera that was owned by a regular client (and a generous one at that!) and that was covered under their policy.

Foolish and reckless as I am, I never bothered to insure lighting, grip, audio etc. Individually, the items are relatively inexpensive and are covered (with a wee element of white lying) on my home contents insurance. The camera, though, at nearly three grand . . .

Funny how spending your own money on something sharpens the sense of caution!
Ian Stark is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business