Insurance -- the big discussion thread - Page 25 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 29th, 2007, 11:04 PM   #361
New Boot

Insurance for SE Asia

I'm going to be going from America to SE Asia w/ around $6,000 in video & editing equipment. Does anyone know of a company that would insure someone in my shoes?

Thanks!
Old September 5th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #362
Major Player

Equipment insurance

Hi:

Sorry for posting a new thread. I have been through the "Big insurance thread", and looked at the 4 links to previous threads that are often referred to, three of these no longer exits, and the big thread does not answer my question as it goes into discussion about liability.

I live in Spain, I need an insurance for my equipment, total some 5000 euros, primarily against theft, for travel world wide (I will travel to Costa Rica en November), including Spain. My home insurance only covers stuff at home.

I have tried contacting various companies, some foreing companies requires that I reside in their country. I have found a travel insurance that offers up to 3750 euros coverage which would be fine if not for the max 450 euros per item limit and the Canon XH-A1 is just one item :(

Spanish companies are completely foreign to the idea that amateurs can have professional equipment that needs to be insured, and don't want to mess with world wide coverage. Apparently insurance fraud is common in Spain - people feel insurance is legal robbery so they rob back, and companies try to protect themselves with limited coverage and unlimited exceptions.

Can anyone recommend a company that will insure gear, regardless of where I reside or where I go?

Thanks, Erik
Erik Norgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #363
Inner Circle

I'm not able to give you any advice on this but just wanted to share my experience, in Belgium it's nearly impossible to find an insurance company to cover for your equipment. I tried an tried and after three year all my equipment is still not insured. Some companies don't even consider to insure it, others require that you have at least 4 other insurances with them, like your car, home and so on. The prices they dare to ask is also ridiculous, main reason for them not to take on these types of insurance is the very high risk involved, I'm also pretty sure the contract has a lot of small prints to cover themselves up if something goes wrong.
Therefore I had to invest in an own security system at home and during work my camera is never out of my hands during the day, my backup cam is in a backpack which I also carry around during the whole day.
I heared stories from videographers loosing equipment in a blink of an eye, especially in a church if you leave your equipment behind to film outside at the end of the ceremonie.
I hope you will find a company who will insure your gear but expect it to be very expensive.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 04:41 AM   #364
Major Player

Well, I can add that Europaeiske (in Denmark) offers such an insurance for technical equipment. You pay about 7% of the total value insured and have to provide serial numbers and purchase date and value of each item. The problem is that they don't want to insure anyone not residing in Denmark.

Their partner in Belgium (www.europese.be) may offer you a similar insurance, but I haven't been able to get a quote from the Spanish partner.
Old September 5th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #365
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Norgaard View Post
Their partner in Belgium (www.europese.be) may offer you a similar insurance, but I haven't been able to get a quote from the Spanish partner.
Interesting, will give them a call, thanks for the link.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 03:36 PM   #366
Panoramic

Has anyone tried Lloyd's of London? International, a reputation for insuring ANYTHING, and a slew of niche oriented policy divisions. You already know it isn't gonna be cheap.

If that doesn't pan out, call major metro rental houses, ask for recommendations.

iPaul
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:15 AM   #367
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Izbicki View Post
Has anyone tried Lloyd's of London? International, a reputation for insuring ANYTHING, and a slew of niche oriented policy divisions. You already know it isn't gonna be cheap.

If that doesn't pan out, call major metro rental houses, ask for recommendations.

iPaul
Thanks, actually, so far, the best I have found is from Lloyd (Columbus Direct). It's a general travel insurance covering up to 3750 euros of stuff with a 450 euros per item limit and a 75 euros franchise. But: Video equipment is considered valuables and only covered up to 450 euros, so even if you can get things split in pieces this won't do.

I tried to get them to elaborate on the franchise and it appears that it is 75 euros per item and not per incident (or maybe they just didn't understand the question). This is really bad, because then most stuff won't be replaced.

Cheers, Erik
Old September 21st, 2007, 04:08 PM   #368
Regular Crew

I just inked a policy with Supple-Merrill & Driscoll (http://www.productioninsurance.com). It has been about six years since I quoted a new equipment floater policy and these guys were several hundred dollars less than the next competitor. I was able to apply online and get an answer in a couple hours. Has anyone else had any experience with this company?
Thanks! Randy
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:43 PM   #369
Regular Crew

Insuring your gear

Just curious about who you guys use to insure your gear. I'm thinking about it more and more lately and not sure where to research. One company in CA came up but that's it really.

Can you help a sistah out?
Anna Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:48 PM   #370
Inner Circle

Do you have renter insurance or home insurance? Those also cover those items. I shoot weddings and I have insurance for the business. One time both of my GL2 were stolen in a hotel. I got 80% of the money back from the insurance claim. Of course that involve getting the police report.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #371
Major Player

My home owner covers only up to $ 5000, and NOT professional equipment.
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #372
Inner Circle

What kind of equipment you have?
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #373
Major Player

Hi Taky,

No offense but assuming the "bad guys" could use this info to locate a member's address, owning professional equipment wouldn't it be unwise to discuss specific equipment lists online? (insured or not) After all, this is a public forum...

Warm Regards, Michael
Michael Nistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:05 AM   #374
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
What kind of equipment you have?

canon xl1-s
monitor
tripod
field monitors
everything you need, and 5000 is nothing as you know.
Karl Heiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:07 AM   #375
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Nistler View Post
No offense but assuming the "bad guys" could use this info to locate a member's address, owning professional equipment wouldn't it be unwise to discuss specific equipment lists online?
I don't worry too much about it. It's not like I give out my SSN.
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business