Moral dilemma (or how to say no) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 30th, 2008, 05:54 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
Thanks very much everyone!
Hey I"m curious - different question but I'll ask it here anyway - if I was out shooting outdoor scenes, street scenes, outdoor malls, street people, etc, would I need model releases, permission etcetera? Just curious. Good to know.
It depends on where you're going to use the footage. News coverage usually not a problem. Commercials, entertainment programming, and theatrical release absolutely need 'em. Documentaries straddle the fence. Note that privacy legislation in recent years has changed the ballgame - used to be about the only absolute where releases were mandatory was when making images used for advertising, even when taken in public places, but it has gotten a lot more restrictive lately. I was astounded to learn last week that even revealing someone's birthday, such an employer posting a "congratulations to this month's employee birthdays" notice, is now considered a violation of people's legal right to privacy! In these days when parents are prohibited from photographing their kids in public parks and swimming pools, school plays, etc, to protect the privacy rights of other kids who might also be in the shot, one should definitely err on the side of caution. Reedickledockle!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business