DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Who do I return the deposit to?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/124820-who-do-i-return-deposit.html)

Dan Burnap June 27th, 2008 04:26 PM

Who do I return the deposit to??

Met a couple few months back and the groom guy signed the contract with his details. They paid the deposit in cash and that was that until last week. The bride-to-be emailed and said the wedding was off. This cancelation came in time for me to return the full deposit - this I have no problem with. However, she is expecting me to give the deposit to her and I am not sure I can that as it's his details on the contract....? I have no idea how the relationship is between them and frankly I'm not interested I just dont want to leave myself open to any grief....

Steve House June 27th, 2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Burnap (Post 899845)
Met a couple few months back and the groom guy signed the contract with his details. They paid the deposit in cash and that was that until last week. The bride-to-be emailed and said the wedding was off. This cancelation came in time for me to return the full deposit - this I have no problem with. However, she is expecting me to give the deposit to her and I am not sure I can that as it's his details on the contract....? I have no idea how the relationship is between them and frankly I'm not interested I just dont want to leave myself open to any grief....

Whose signature is on the contract? That's who you have the contract with and that's who gets the refund IMHO. If they both signed it, split it 50/50.

Dave Blackhurst June 27th, 2008 05:46 PM

OOOH, awkward...

First, since it sounds like the groom paid all the money and signed everything, you shouldn't do ANYTHING until you contact HIM. IF he says "give her the money", ask to get it in WRITING, either send him a release to sign or have him send something clearly indicating his intent that the money goes to her.

You're effectively holding the money in "escrow" or trust as a deposit towards your services, which obviously aren't required anymore. You need to make sure if two people signed the contract that BOTH of them agree, or if one signed, that they agree in writing that the money should be given to a "third party".

Main thing , CYA, and make sure you've got it in writing before you release any money.

Dan Burnap June 28th, 2008 04:59 AM

Thanks Gents

Had a meeting with the bride yesterday and although she was expecting the money, she understood the situation when i explained I had to have a signature from her Ex and there wasnt any drama.

Tim Polster June 28th, 2008 09:01 AM

Hey Dan,

As I side note, there should be a portion of the deposit that is non-refundable to cover your opportunity cost of keeping the date reserved.

What if you had turned down another engagement while the wedding was still on?

You are selling yourself short by giving all of the deposit back imho.

Shaun Roemich June 28th, 2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Polster (Post 900118)
Hey Dan,

As I side note, there should be a portion of the deposit that is non-refundable to cover your opportunity cost of keeping the date reserved.

What if you had turned down another engagement while the wedding was still on?

You are selling yourself short by giving all of the deposit back imho.

Yes and no. He has stated that this was within the refundable deposit period. If a gig that is still MONTHS away cancels, one should REASONABLY expect to be able to fill the date and the client should be entitled to a refund. Three days (weeks, months - your call) to go? Sorry, no refund. That's what the deposit was for. That's MY opinion anyway...