DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Is it a legal requirement to have a permit in LA for small size crew (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/124905-legal-requirement-have-permit-la-small-size-crew.html)

Michael Brennan June 29th, 2008 10:30 AM

Is it a legal requirement to have a permit in LA for small size crew

Is it a LEGAL requirement for a small size crew ie numbering 1-3 to have a film permit in LA or is it a guideline that is percieved as being a law?

I won't be convinced unless I see the code:)

I am not proposing that small crews should obstuct or interfere with the public.

Mike Brennan

Matt Ryan June 29th, 2008 10:42 AM

Here in LA you almost need a permit for everything plus insurance. Go to this site and ask the organization who gives out the permits.
http://filmla.com/index.html
We can all speculate here but to get an immediate correct answer contact film LA. If you have to get permits, thats who you would get it through.

Michael Brennan June 29th, 2008 12:31 PM

Matt I'll do that and ask them for the law.

Mike Brennan

Matt Ryan June 29th, 2008 01:45 PM

hahaha ok. Best to consult the professionals who deal with that for every production. Best of luck to you!

Michael Brennan June 29th, 2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ryan (Post 900590)
hahaha ok. Best to consult the professionals who deal with that for every production. Best of luck to you!

Matt, I don't see what it is you find funny.
Many small size crews (and production managers) think they need filming permits for NYC and London Im wondering if the same misinformation that is happening in these cities is occuring in LA.

Mike Brennan

Matt Ryan June 29th, 2008 05:59 PM

Relax I wasn't meaning any disrepect I was laughing at the fact you said you were going to get the law from them and I was just laughing. Typically the rule of 3 applies everywhere which is if your crew is under 3 then you do not need permits as long as you are not doing any intensive filming. I was also laughing because we just got shut down by LAPD when we were under 3 crew members. Here in LA things are a bit more strict when it comes to having permits to shoot so thats why I said it would be good to check. I was not making fun of you!

Michael Brennan June 29th, 2008 06:37 PM

Sorry matt I was a bit over sensative.

Rule three sounds sensible, but it still gives leeway for police to shut you down, does this happen often?

We have been having a hard time in London, which we are trying to resolve with various bodies.

Mike Brennan

Mike Meyerson June 29th, 2008 08:14 PM

my .02

I was always told (at least here in NY), if you're using a tripod in public, you need a permit.

Matt Ryan June 29th, 2008 08:16 PM

Hey Mike, I have found anytime you are on public property filming regardless of number of crew a permit is required so police wont shut you down. if you have just one bystander who calls into police you get shut down without a permit regardless if you were interrupting them or not. It sucks but a hard reality here in LA. Now I just get permits for everything and everywhere.

Michael Brennan June 29th, 2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Ryan (Post 900734)
Hey Mike, I have found anytime you are on public property filming regardless of number of crew a permit is required so police wont shut you down. if you have just one bystander who calls into police you get shut down without a permit regardless if you were interrupting them or not. It sucks but a hard reality here in LA. Now I just get permits for everything and everywhere.

This is the kind of situation that is beginning to happen here too. Permits being demmanded where none are legally required... at the expense of not being able to shoot at short notice when the weather is good, a big problem in London.

Mike Brennan

Matt Newcomb June 29th, 2008 11:45 PM

It is a legal requirement to have a permit and insurance by city ordinance, there is probably something on the county level as well. If you have anything besides a hand held camera be prepared to be stopped by police. As you can imagine they crack down on that stuff pretty hard.

Michael Brennan June 30th, 2008 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Newcomb (Post 900784)
It is a legal requirement to have a permit and insurance by city ordinance, there is probably something on the county level as well. If you have anything besides a hand held camera be prepared to be stopped by police. As you can imagine they crack down on that stuff pretty hard.

Matt, does that include rule 3 size crews?

Mike Brennan

Matt Newcomb June 30th, 2008 10:36 AM

I don't believe there are any exceptions based on the size of your crew. The rule of 3 thing seems to be just common sense for attracting the attention of people. There is nothing magic about the number 3, at least here in LA.

I'd be interested to see what you hear from Film LA though.

Max Wilson July 1st, 2008 10:05 AM

Call Film LA, if you only have 3 crew they should be able to issue you a permit for that for no cost (might depend on where the final product is headed). You still may need insurance but i can't remember.
I know we did this for a web show on Venice Boardwalk and had no trouble with any cops since we had papers to show we where allowed to shoot there.

Mark Bournes July 24th, 2008 05:59 PM

LA's tricky, I got stopped while shooting on the Santa Monica Pier. 2 man crew. Then on another trip to LA Iwas shooting on the Venice beach strip and had no issues, same 2 person crew. I was shooting with sticks on both shoots, sometimes you need it and sometimes you don't. In any case if you don't have a permit, SHOOT FAST.