Resources for Archival Footage? & Copyright Age Limits at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Resources for Archival Footage? & Copyright Age Limits

I'm working on a documentary involving Western North Carolina and I'm in need of Archival Footage/images (pre-1940).
I have searched the Prelinger Archives and Creative Commons(not really archival) without much luck.

Anyone know of any good places to look for Archival Footage?

Also, isn't there a 50 year age limit on copyrights. Or Is this not always the case?
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Major Player

Footage of what exactly? The right source would depend on the subject your are looking for.

One place to start: http://www.footage.net/index.aspx

This site has links to many of the major providers.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 08:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Here's a good resource for information on copyrights, including how long they last.

Stanford Copyright & Fair Use - Copyright FAQs
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Tingle View Post
I'm working on a documentary involving Western North Carolina and I'm in need of Archival Footage/images (pre-1940).
I have searched the Prelinger Archives and Creative Commons(not really archival) without much luck.

Anyone know of any good places to look for Archival Footage?

Also, isn't there a 50 year age limit on copyrights. Or Is this not always the case?
Both the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress have images available.
Old August 16th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wiley View Post
Footage of what exactly? The right source would depend on the subject your are looking for.

One place to start: http://www.footage.net/index.aspx

This site has links to many of the major providers.
Old B&W footage of forestry, Blue Ridge Parkway Development, family recreation, hunting, fishing, etc. I'm doing a kind of nature/historical documentary of a particular area in North Carolina.

I did some copyright/publc domain research after I posted and found out that public domain is anything but simple. I just assumed that anything "old" would be public domain....doh!

Thanks for the links everyone, I'll keep searching.
Luke Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #6
Major Player

re:

Silly question possibly but I haven't seen it directly answered just yet in the discussion above. If I go to the Library of Congress and get public domain photos and videos (in this case about The Great Depression), I can use them in my documentary even if it gets picked up by a studio down the line and released? It doesn't violate rights, or cost money, etc...?
Josh Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:18 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Hayes View Post
Silly question possibly but I haven't seen it directly answered just yet in the discussion above. If I go to the Library of Congress and get public domain photos and videos (in this case about The Great Depression), I can use them in my documentary even if it gets picked up by a studio down the line and released? It doesn't violate rights, or cost money, etc...?
Truly public domain material is just that - ownded by the public and free of copyright restrictions on its use by anyone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business