Promotional Items for Business at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 18th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #1
Major Player

Promotional Items for Business

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a company for business promotional items (i.e. bags, apparel, pens, etc.)?

Thanks,
Troy
Troy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:13 PM   #2
Trustee

For apparel I'd recommend Queensboro. Low minimums, no setup fee, quality stuff. I'm wearing one of their shirts right now. Get on their mailing list because they have some great deals occasionally.

I don't have any personal experience with promotional items, but the marketing person down the hall recommends 4imprint.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Major Player

There are about a million sources for these types of items. Most are members of ASI (Advertising Specialty Institute). They can run the whole gamut from a kitchen-table business that is run very loosely to advertising agencies who develop entire promotions involving the promotional items. (By the way, this is the most effective way to use promos and get as much mileage from them as possible. Unfortunately, most of the world has just relegated them to cheapo give-aways at trade shows etc.)

I used to work for BigLook Displays & Graphics and we did promo items for customers all over the country. I remember one time even sourcing collapsible hemp frisbees for a customer!

Whoever you choose to go with, don't let pricing be your only criterion. A lot of times you can get pinched by a supplier who drops the ball at one stage or another, either in terms of artwork submission, or worse, shipping. I've known orders to be so badly delayed that they ended up being just so much garbage for the trash heap! Just make sure that your supplier clearly understands ALL of your objectives.
Frank Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
For apparel I'd recommend Queensboro. Low minimums, no setup fee, quality stuff. I'm wearing one of their shirts right now. Get on their mailing list because they have some great deals occasionally.
How's the quality of the print from Queensboro on your t-shirt? Is it more like the really nice photo print, or is it more like a iron on that you buy from wal-mart? (I don't think it is but thought I'd ask.)

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 07:12 AM   #5
Trustee

I've never bought screenprinted stuff from Queensboro, only embroidered items. The embroidered stuff is good.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #6
Major Player

Re: Promotional Items for Business

Just curious - how well does promotional marketing work for you guys? Do you give stuff (pens, note pads, etc with logo/name) to customers only or to advertise to new people (potential clients...)

Thanks!
Silas Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:20 AM   #7
Major Player

One of the best promotional items is food. Take a prospect to lunch.
Old October 8th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Barker View Post
Just curious - how well does promotional marketing work for you guys? Do you give stuff (pens, note pads, etc with logo/name) to customers only or to advertise to new people (potential clients...)

Thanks!
IMHO, it is hard to make a return on that stuff, but you need a little bit of it to stay in business. I use sticky notepads, and give them to current and prospective clients (but don't hand them out on the street). I figure everybody uses sticky notepads, and so I stick around and make an impression for a while. I have yet to get a piece of business I could attribute to the notepads or the pens, but at ~$100/year, it's a small investment for potential growth.

Like Roger, I buy a lot of lunches, and a lot of coffees. I *never* go on a shoot where I don't offer to buy lunch, and anybody who I think has contacts or the potential to bring me more business, I contact a week or two later to see if they want to get lunch. Other people they know that need video *always* come up during these conversations, and I have gotten a *lot* of business from this. Plus, I love to eat!
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:09 AM   #9
Major Player

Mike's mention of coffee reminded me that breakfasts and brunches also work. No kidding, clients and prospects like being fed. People are much more open and relaxed with a full tummy.

I'm also beginning to explore "Golf for Growing Your Business."

Last edited by Roger Van Duyn; October 9th, 2012 at 06:10 AM. Reason: other idea
Roger Van Duyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #10
Trustee

We just received some pint glasses with our logo to serve up our homebrew at an after-hours social next month.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business