Women: What do you wear for shooting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 25th, 2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Women: What do you wear for shooting?

Alright, I'm sure this has been covered before but I can't figure out the right search terms.

Mostly looking for advise from folks who are doing even video, weddings, church videos, corporate - things like that. I'm trying to figure out what is best to wear for events like this. I'm not a big fan of skirts/dresses, especially when I need to possibly climb up ladders for setting things up.

Jeans or shorts would definitely be the most comfortable, but I just don't think that is the most professional or appropriate thing to wear.

So the question remains, what do you wear? Skirt, dress, pants suit, jeans, work casual?

Thank in advance for any info.
Lisa Shofner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 09:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

How about black khaki slacks, black blouse?
Old August 25th, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3
Wrangler

Hi Lisa,

It all depends on the situation and your taste, as I’m sure you figured. I am definitely not into slacks--don’t even own a pair.

Back when I did weddings, if it was formal and indoors I wore a black dress and heels. If it was more casual or outdoors I asked what the colors were and tried to wear a dress that blended. (Man, am I glad those days are over.)

Church--jeans for setup, something nice (like a skirt) for the shoot if it’s not one of the churches where people dress more casually. But like my mom always told me, better to be over-dressed than too casual. :)

For corporate/city work, if I can’t do the setup early in my jeans and change later I just tough it out with a knee-length black skirt and nice blouse. It’s always so fun schlepping gear in heels.

Gosh, I haven’t done seminars and those types of things for a long time. For most of the stuff I do now it’s jeans, shorts or a little jean skirt all the way, baby! :)
Old August 25th, 2008, 12:30 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Not a fashion statement, but I've never seen a woman working on a crew during filming wearing a skirt. Most have a certain sense of style, with the odd tattoo thrown into the mix, but being creative you can get away with a lot more than people working in traditional jobs. However, they tend not to get extreme when working on formal occasions.

Smart casual fits most occasions with full outdoor mountain gear when working on feature films and commercials.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 01:07 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale View Post
Not a fashion statement, but I've never seen a woman working on a crew during filming wearing a skirt.
I dare say she was not talking about working as part of a crew on a film, but rather working as an individual videographer. In that case, you are more than just a crew member, you are in effect the physical representation of the company.

On the occasion I've had to send an employee to a shoot, I've requested they wear attire that is appropriate for the location. We've shot everywhere from churches to office buildings to construction sites to hog barns.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
I dare say she was not talking about working as part of a crew on a film, but rather working as an individual videographer. In that case, you are more than just a crew member, you are in effect the physical representation of the company.

On the occasion I've had to send an employee to a shoot, I've requested they wear attire that is appropriate for the location. We've shot everywhere from churches to office buildings to construction sites to hog barns.
Indeed, but I've still never seen a videographer wearing a skirt and that includes working in very select locations. I know America can be conservative, but there are very sharp and fashionable trouser outfits and shooting in high heels is an accident waiting to happen.
Old August 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Wrangler

Brian, I can do more stunts in heels than you can imagine -- haven’t had an accident yet. ;)

It’s not a matter of being conservative, it’s a matter of dressing for the occasion. As Chris said, I am the “face” of my business, and in a formal or business setting, a skirt is going to look lots more professional [on me] and I’m going to feel more confident. If Lisa or any other gal out there feels most confident in “fashionable trouser outfits” then that is exactly what she/they should wear. I don’t do slacks anywhere. And even if I did there would be heels under ‘em.

On a set, particularly when I’m working as a grip for someone else, naturally I wear clothes and shoes fit for climbing scaffolding, lugging lights, stands, etc. from truck to set--whatever is required of me. But in the case of a wedding or other more formal job I’m dressing...in a dress. If I fall and break my camera I’ll be sure and post it right here. :)
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #8
Trustee

Since nobody else has brought it up, I figured I'd chime in on the reason there's a tradition of wearing black (or at least dark colors) on set.

The world has a lot of reflective stuff in it. Windows, shiny product packaging, mirrors, polished steel, etc, etc, etc.

If you're dressed brightly, and something in the shot reflects your image back to the camera, bright or light object movement will be the MOST distracting.

Dressing in clothing that absorbs (rather than reflects) light will make such movement a LOT less distracting.

Now if you're shooting a beach scene, reflections of black clad crew makes it look like you're shooting a Ninja beach movie, so judgement is called for.

But the crew standard of dark or black gear is less a fashion statement and more a practical consideration.

For what it's worth.
Bill Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

Trust me, Lorinda is the Ginger Rogers of video production and could shoot that video backwards and in high heels.

For the rest of us, I think unobtrusive, neutral, and blending into the background is the desired effect. Not too dressed up or down is best. When we've had to appear at formal events, we just go with black slacks and a conservative solid-colored button-down shirt.

The trick is to be sure to iron everything really well and wear good shoes. No one will give you a second glance. You get a bye on formality when you're working the camera.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Brian, I can do more stunts in heels than you can imagine -- haven’t had an accident yet. ;)

It’s not a matter of being conservative, it’s a matter of dressing for the occasion. As Chris said, I am the “face” of my business, and in a formal or business setting, a skirt is going to look lots more professional [on me] and I’m going to feel more confident. If Lisa or any other gal out there feels most confident in “fashionable trouser outfits” then that is exactly what she/they should wear. I don’t do slacks anywhere. And even if I did there would be heels under ‘em.
In the end, the clothes are your choice. That Ginger Rogers image sounds good for a music video.
Old August 25th, 2008, 06:36 PM   #11
Major Player

I'm NOT a woman, nor do I play one on TV; however at most functions that I've shot video, the event and technical crew are usually in black. Locally, it almost seems expected.

I went to document the Doolittle Raiders symposium at the Cavenaugh Flight Museum in what I call my mortician's outfit: black slacks, black long-sleeve shirt, plain black tie, and black leather athletic shoes. I walked on-site with the first armload and was immediately directed to the staff entrance without even identifying myself. Went through the door and EVERYONE from the event coordinators to the sound crew to the caterers to the wait staff were in similar black. The women staffers broke up the monotony with maybe a colored scarf or subdued jewelry, but the effect was subtle and in keeping with presenting a good public face.

In a way, it was handy that we were all in the same uniform. I managed to wangle a feed from the sound board with no problems, and a few of the wait staff dropped by unasked from time to time with cold water. Never could understand how one of the lady coordinators managed to stay on her feet in the heels she was wearing. Mine were killing me at the close, and I was in sport shoes.

Martin
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was worried nobody would reply to this thread, I guess I forgot what a helpful group of folks you are.

As far as heels - I wore them once for 8th grade graduation and swore Never Again. I have dress shoes and boots that I can wear with skirts if I need to.

I'm glad to read that you all think slacks would be OK. I don't really like dresses/skirts but will wear them if I need to (which is why I asked). As far as normal days I wear jeans and t-shirts or button shirts ever day (even work days), usually with hiking boots or running shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
For the rest of us, I think unobtrusive, neutral, and blending into the background is the desired effect. Not too dressed up or down is best. When we've had to appear at formal events, we just go with black slacks and a conservative solid-colored button-down shirt.
That sounds like what I'll end up doing. Now that I think about it, I believe I even have black slacks already. Now I just need to find a shirt that is conservative (solid) and comfortable to wear/move/sit for a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meryem Ersoz View Post
The trick is to be sure to iron everything really well and wear good shoes. No one will give you a second glance. You get a bye on formality when you're working the camera.
Oh no! Not the iron. The saddest part of the thread, finding out I can't just wear my shirt until it isn't wrinkly. Hahaha.
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Allow me to chime in as an "employer" of freelancers: I expect technical persons to show up wearing clean, pressed (where appropriate) black or dark navy clothing of appropriate dress level (casual - khakis or cargo pants; business casual - slacks or dress pants). I prefer collared shirts, especially if short sleeved. This is unless otherwise discussed. An outdoor sporting event, shorts and non-logo golf shirt may cut it. Conventions or corporate interviews, I wear (and therefore expect my crew to wear) long pants and non-patterned dark tops.

I realize the discussion began around event videography (which I seldom do) but these forums will be searched in times to come so I felt this input was appropriate in this location.

I don't care WHAT you wear on your feet as long as it isn't sneakers/tennis shoes or sandals. Covered toes are a must and you MUST be able to stand for extended periods of time so no "fashion" shoes allowed.

PS. I'm a man.
Old August 26th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
I realize the discussion began around event videography (which I seldom do) but these forums will be searched in times to come so I felt this input was appropriate in this location.

I don't care WHAT you wear on your feet as long as it isn't sneakers/tennis shoes or sandals. Covered toes are a must and you MUST be able to stand for extended periods of time so no "fashion" shoes allowed.

PS. I'm a man.

hi Shaun,

Very appropriate and useful information. I am not working for someone else, other than the client, but knowing what employers expect of freelancers is very helpful. Like I said, I couldn't find anything in the search so hopefully this thread will help some other folks down the line too.
Old August 26th, 2008, 10:48 AM   #15
Wrangler

Well, it seems every “family” has to have its oddballs and DV Info is no exception. I’ll try to keep my silly ways to myself. Meryem, thanks for not disowning me, sister! :o)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business