DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   How can I approach a 'Name' to do an indie film? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/13300-how-can-i-approach-name-do-indie-film.html)

Mark Argerake August 15th, 2003 08:35 AM

How can I approach a 'Name' to do an indie film?

What's the best way to hunt down, approach and attach a well known actor, actress, dp, editor, script supervisor... to an indie film? Just send an email sayin hi, i'm doing this project, ya interested? I'm sure actors can be saught through an agent (if they'll even give me the time of day w/o cash to toss around) but what about crew and what if the agent does blow me off?

Rob Lohman August 15th, 2003 09:37 AM

I think you need to know people who know people...

Rob Belics August 15th, 2003 10:25 AM

They key adjective you used was "well known". These types are either busy enough or can be more selective about the work they'll do. Their first question will be what kind of money do you have and when you say none, yes, they'll blow you off.

Exception:

"Well known" where? Hollywood or your hometown? If it's your hometown, there's a chance that a letter to him might intrique him enough to call you back.

Otherwise, if you know someone who knows him, that's also a possiblity but still not likely.

Mark Argerake August 18th, 2003 02:05 PM

I guess I'm goign to have to meet people who know people...

Mark Argerake August 22nd, 2003 08:12 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Argerake : I guess I'm goign to have to meet people who know people... -->>>

So... anyone here know Yancy Butler or anyone who may know how I can get in touch with her??

John Locke August 22nd, 2003 08:23 AM

Mark,

Willing to gamble 7 bucks? Go to ContactAnyCelebrity.com.

Derrick Begin August 22nd, 2003 08:25 AM

Mark,

The actors want work and like to be approached about projects. You might think about purchasing the "Hollywood Creative Directory" for actors. Here is the link:

http://shop.hcdonline.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=hcd&Category_Code=Books

There is also several HCD's that you will need to locate information in the motion picture industry.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!

Derrick

Also, friends of mine approached a celebrity through their agent and address. Sent him the script, he liked it, and decided he would do it under a set of given circumstances. The shot the film and it won some awards.

Paul Tauger August 22nd, 2003 12:27 PM

If you contact the Screen Actors Guild, they'll give you the name of any member's agent. If it's a completely cold contact, i.e. you don't have an "in," that's probably the place to start.

Don Donatello August 29th, 2003 06:01 PM

Mark

Yancy Butler
c/o Tom Monjack
270 N. Canon Drive, #1064
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

i believe her email goes to Tom Monjack 1st

YancyButler@earthlink.com

Mark Argerake August 30th, 2003 08:39 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Donatello : Mark

Yancy Butler
c/o Tom Monjack
270 N. Canon Drive, #1064
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

i believe her email goes to Tom Monjack 1st

YancyButler@earthlink.com -->>>

Thanks Don -

Are you sure Tom is an agent/manager and the email just doesn't go to some crazed fan?

Rob Belics August 30th, 2003 09:32 AM

IIRC, Tom Monjack handles fan mail and isn't an agent.

Kat Eiswald September 15th, 2003 02:12 AM

a couple of points on A list and Names.

First. Why do you want a Name?
Only person for the job?
You think your project is THE vehicle for the Name?
You want a boost for distribution?

I'll tell you what. If you are indy, and don't have your own powerful Hollywood agent, I would learn a whole lot about the Actors Guild-and worse-the Star system; which is set up so when you finally get your first baby to an "independant" studio and they attach a Name, and said Name comes to the first meeting with director and producer, and gets you kicked off. Yep. That is the standard for the Name Talent/First time Director "balance of power".

If you really want to get someone that will draw a bit of industry attention to your film, put an ad in the Hollywood Reporter (have a fundraiser..they are around a grand) and hire the best casting director of the moment. You might not have heard of your call back list, but they may already be 'watched' by the industry. and they will bring the kind of professional interest that can lead to a distribution deal, which is really what you are interested in I think.

**Ideally, your "New Face" has another work or more coming out in pace with your project...agents will be trying to get a buzz with a clump of projects in a short time frame. That is what you want as well. A Depp or Dunst phenomenon..usually these reps also work on connections to the distribution...since they distribution company prefers "themes" in their marketing schemes, and a New Face qualifies..teen market especially.

But after that first major award...forget it.

If you want a particular person because you worship them...I suggest you find someone else for the sake of your baby.

blah blah blah