Starting a rental style business (with editing and DVD production) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 22nd, 2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Starting a rental style business (with editing and DVD production)

Hi,
I was considering starting a business videotaping something that I enjoy doing. So far these events are only covered by still photographers who are at different locations and then sell prints online by sending a bulk email to all the people who attended. There are some types of these events where there are no photographers at all (or videographers). I was researching ways to videotape one of these events as I'm participating (a record for myself). I was thinking about using this footage to get more business. I then started thinking that participants might like to videotape their own participation in these events - they're certainly gadget-loving, and like to keep records and statistics of their activities at these events. So I'm thinking that the video gear that I've been researching and thinking about purchasing is a little expensive (I think) for most participants to buy outright. So I thought that I'd buy several of these video kits that I'm putting together and rent them out to people at the start of the event, collect them at the end, and then supply them with a DVD of the footage they shot. That way people get a very personal product. The gear would be simple and assembled and ready to go at the start of the event.

Does anyone have any suggestions for business books on this sort of rental store? Also, what sort of rental fees should I be charging for about 700-1000$US in equipment? Is there an industry standard per market or is the rental fee also influenced by the type of equipment that you're renting? This business will initially be in Toronto, Canada so books with Canadian business information would be great unless it's some great general business book that you can recommend. I'm taking a course right now on starting a small arts/media business so I'm going to be asking my instructor about my ideas. Thanks for any help.
Tim

Last edited by Tim Pearce; September 22nd, 2008 at 09:53 AM. Reason: forgot something
Tim Pearce is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business