Licencing video to other companies ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 29th, 2008, 01:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Licencing video to other companies ...

I got a call today from Discovery Science with a request to use footage that I shot several years ago.

I have no problem providing them with the footage but I really have no idea how to license my footage to them or where I get any of the legal documentation to make that sort of thing official.

Also, I have no idea how much I should be charging or how I should be charging.

Any help would be most appreciated ... links to some sample legal documents would be great as well.

Thanks.
George Tasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2008, 04:42 PM   #2
Major Player

George, Do a search of stock footage libraries, see what they are charging for comparable footage and read their licensing info. Licensing rates can run from $20-$150/sec depending upon uniqueness of the footage, quality or whether it's SD or HD. $40-50/sec with a minimum 10 second buy is fairly common.

Do not send them your original tapes/media and get payment up front.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I know it sounds like a broken record, but for the legal documentation you really, REALLY need to see an intellectual property attorney who knows something about copyright and licensing. It shouldn't be a major case but it's definitely NOT a DIY type of situation.
Old February 7th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #4
Major Player

This is an old post but i had a thought here so i wanted to share. If you already solved this, i would be very interested in hearing what avenue worked for you. I find that when I work with large reputable organizations (and their team of lawyers,) it is often helpful to request that they submit a license request form. I then take that to my attorney for preview and alteration. In my experience it yields less attorney fees because you are not starting from scratch. I also try to account for any legal fees I incurred in getting the correct documents into the rates.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business