How to tactfully set boundary with customer - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 20th, 2008, 09:40 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton View Post
Are you serious? There are reasons for not refunding money to a client, but a change of heart is not one of them. That would be about the same as stealing, in my book.
Huh???? Change of heart? Who's talking about a change of heart?

If you tell a client what is required, get a deposit, and they don't follow through...

I know I've lost deposits I've made in the past because I didn't meet a deadline or some requirement in some way. Nothing I could do to get that deposit back because it was non-refundable. In this case, if Kell states her terms (such as client must send pictures via FedEx by a certain date, yadda yadda) and they don't, well... ya snooze ya lose.

That's why they call it non-refundable. Then the onus is on the client. I mean, hey, if you buy a non-refundable airline ticket, you know you better get your butt to the airport. They do not refund tickets to people who don't get to the airport in time.
Diane diGino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM   #17
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell Smith View Post
either in a public place or when someone is with me.
The 'someone with you' is what I was going to suggest. I'd even take it up a notch and have a guy friend if you are currently unattached, accompany you to the meeting. That makes you look 'unavailable' and secure all at the same time.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:45 AM   #18
Wrangler

Diane, this is my understanding of the problem:

Kell was talking about refunding the guy's deposit because she had a change of heart (my words) about shooting the interview. The "change of heart" concerns her safety--her reluctance about working with him.

The reason she couldn't refund the deposit is that she had to use it.

Kell would be the one not honoring the contract if she kept the deposit but didn't do the job. It had nothing to do with the client "following through."
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:14 PM   #19
Trustee

refund and thank you but no thank you.

I don't work with drunks anywhere near my cameras if I can help it. at wedding receptions I keep an eagle eye on my gear and if things start getting to out of control (they haven't yet) I'll bag it and take off. that is i my contract too.

this just seems like a real hassle.

another option is ask for a buttload of money and take out a gear insurance policy that would be paid entirely by the increased fee you ask. after all it is this client that is endangering your gear.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2008, 06:22 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
after all it is this client that is endangering your gear.
I'd be more concerning with the potential and perceived danger to one's person. Insured or not, one can always buy more gear...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business