Sources for grant funding at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 25th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Major Player

Sources for grant funding

I'm trying to determine whether grant funding is available to make a small documentary promoting the nursing profession. It sounds like this would be easy but the folks doling out the big bucks want an established filmmaker, which I am not. I do have almost unfettered access to subjects and hospitals.

I'm wondering if there are other sources of grant funding, perhaps through organizations that support emerging artists. I have NO experience in this arena and I'm looking for some guidance and-to be blunt--looking for financial support to make a "day in the life" type film.

A Google search turned up a bunch of outdated stuff or stuff with restrictions I cannot meet.

Thanks
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #2

Bob, do you have your own equipment?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #3
Major Player

To be blunt: Not really. I'd like to get a grant to upgrade from a palm corder to something a little more capable for making the doc. So I'm really looking for a grant to buy equipment to make the product.

I know it's a pie-in-the-sky dream (if it were easy everyone would do it!) but after reading the recent list of Macarthur fellows--one person got a 1/2 million for sculpting things out of rigatoni noodles or something like that---I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

What I found is there's stuff out there but with strings such as "must film 75% within city X, or must hire a PA from school Y," things I cannot meet since this won't be a feature length product and I'll be making it in addition to my regular day job.

It was worth the two minutes of typing to ask.....

Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business