DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   How should I charge for the travel time (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/139654-how-should-i-charge-travel-time.html)

Nick Stone December 15th, 2008 12:54 AM

How should I charge for the travel time

I have been asked to shoot a property that is being restored and it's a 7 hour drive one way. The client wants me to shoot this over a three month period. I have worked out it will take four trips up and four back over the three months.
My question is how should I charge for the travel time. Full day, half day, per kilometer or a bit of both?

Nick

Chris Soucy December 15th, 2008 01:26 AM

Hi Nick............

Start at two full days travelling per shoot.

No negotiation, no get outs.

Plus fuel plus any other incidentals.

A 7 hour drive is in fact an entire working day - charge as.

You wanna see how it's done - get a plumber if for a day or two, now they can really show you how to charge!

CS

Nick Stone December 15th, 2008 01:52 AM

I was thinking to charge the client a full days rate as per filming rate plus expenses would be the best.
To right about the plumber.

Nick

Jeff Zimmerman December 16th, 2008 01:39 PM

Considering that your time is valuable. In most cases when I travel for a client or large production company the agreement has been for a half days rate. Reason being is that your not shooting, editing, your commuting. Sure its your time, you could use it to do other jobs but it might jeopardize the relationship. Clients like to feel value in that you respect the work and the budget. Let them know all the costs and time. They should reimburse you for mileage. You can try for a full days rate, if you get it great. If not, get a half day at the very least.

Rick L. Allen December 18th, 2008 08:46 PM

I generally charge my day rate (less gear) for travel over 5 hrs and half my day rate (less gear) for travel time less than 5 hrs. Plus mileage, expenses, etc. Once in a rare while a client questions me about this and I explain that while I'm traveling I'm on their time (not mine) and unavailable to other clients. That usually solves the problem.

Dylan Couper December 19th, 2008 01:44 AM

I charge 1/2 rates for travel time. So if there is a day's travel, I charge a 1/2 day. Plus expenses of course. I don't charge travel time for short (under two hours) trips if it is a full day shoot. Also, if it's a loooong shoot, I'll probably skip the travel time (like 2 days of travel for a 2 week shoot). Depending on a lot of things of course, like if I'm going to Toronto or Turkey.... :)

Brian Drysdale December 19th, 2008 04:15 AM

Half daily rate is pretty common for a travel day.

Charging for travel times tend to vary and often depends on what's regarded locally as the industry base area eg within a city boundary. Shooting outside such a boundary it's common to charge the time travelling to and from your base to location on the day of the shoot.

If you claim that you can base yourself in a particular film/tv industry city to work, you don't charge the travelling time.

Shaun Roemich December 19th, 2008 02:02 PM

I'm with Dylan and Brian: Half day for travel up to 8 hours. If I'm flying International and will be traveling for more than 10 or so hours, I'll charge out at a full day. Driving I charge mileage as well as my rate. Don't let the client talk you into reimbursing your fuel: mileage factors in wear and tear on your vehicle, insurance costs and to SOME degree, the liabilities that traveling incur.

Chris Davis December 23rd, 2008 10:08 AM

Travel time = lost opportunity. I can't work for another client while I'm traveling for you, so therefore, you pay my full working rate for my travel time (plus expenses.)

Of course that's not a firm, non-negotiable policy. I have cut the travel time rate in half for long projects (like more than one week.)

J.B. Letchinger December 23rd, 2008 01:36 PM

travel time

Its funny that people like to sound off about their travel policies! The original poster has probably forgotten all about this by now! I love a good travel negotiation as much as anyone, but the fact is - sometimes you need to understand your client's POV. The quote was " I've been asked to shoot a property that's being restored" - maybe this is a real estate video... the question becomes - who is the client? a mom and pop outfit or a network? I've had better results asking for what I want while taking the overall budget range in mind, rather than starting high and being negotiated down (or losing the work). Half day for travel + mileage and per diem - (no gear rental) is usually what I get from or suggest to non-network, non-union clients.

Shaun Roemich December 23rd, 2008 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J.B. Letchinger (Post 982985)
Its funny that people like to sound off about their travel policies!

I always thought that we were sharing information with someone who has posed a valid question as opposed to "sounding off" but... WELCOME to the Forums!

Allen Plowman December 23rd, 2008 02:41 PM

Quote:

IThe original poster has probably forgotten all about this by now!

The original post is only 9 days old, what makes you think its long forgotten? I can see your point if the post was several years old....

Brian Drysdale December 23rd, 2008 04:11 PM

Quote:

Its funny that people like to sound off about their travel policies!

Less sounding off more about giving some options. I think the original poster felt deep down how much he could charge this particular client for driving 7 hours each way.