Procrewbook.com any good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 9th, 2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Procrewbook.com any good?

Hello there...

So I lost my permanent staff position of 8 years due to budget cuts and now trying to make my way into the world of freelancing. I am thinking of getting myself listed on Procrewbook.com, but not sure if it is worth it. Have any people here had any experience with it? Is it just another site like Craigslist and Mandy were people think that "working with a great group of people" and "being given a copy and credit" are proper compensation for someone who is a professional and trying to make a living? I have seen some stuff written about it, but they are all obviously posted by someone from the site.

Thanks!
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #2
Major Player

Never heard of it before your post...

but logged on and checked members/participants. Not many listed there, though not sure what that indicates in this economy. Are those folks:
1) "real" pros either with in-depth knowledge and/or years and years of major film or broadcast experience? Or,
2) people with knowledge but less/more narrow experience who are eager/anxious simply to find work in this economy?
(Probably other possibilities, too).

It seems you have nothing to lose by joining, especially if it provides you with e-mail notices of available work. Before joining, check into the opt-out features/requirements, in case you find membership there is not for you.

Just my perspective, which may not be helpful to you.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Daniel,

I would start sending my resumes out to AV Companies, I am assuming you are a shooter. I believe the going rate right now is $ 25-$ 35/hour depending on the skill level. I know it's not a production job but it pays the bills. You get paid more if you are a video engineer on site.

I agree there's no harm in posting at Mandys or Craigslist.

My 2 cents.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Mandys and Craigslist are useless. 90% of the listings don't pay anything.
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 01:33 AM   #5
Major Player

Jobs at mandy and craigslist:

Jobs that pay decently-to-well are, indeed, few and far between. I've never gotten a job through mandy, and only a few through cl that paid more than $ 50 per hour. I've found more jobs through some of the freelancing sites than through cl. It's tough to find work anywhere these days.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Denis, I've been a full time freelancer for over a decade now and have 5 established crewing services that I regularly work with. I've never heard of Procrewbook. Looks like another one of those fly by night, ask you to shoot and edit commercials for $100 kind of websites.

Legitimate crewing services DO NOT charge you to get or be listed. They take a cut for booking you with clients - usually 10-15% of your day rate.
Old January 16th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen View Post
Legitimate crewing services DO NOT charge you to get or be listed. They take a cut for booking you with clients - usually 10-15% of your day rate.
Heheh, I initially read your first few words as "Legitimate screwing services." Took a few more read throughs to get my eyes reading it correctly.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #8

Don't go Freudian on us, Jason!
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Don't go Freudian on us, Jason!
Not Freudian, just my experience with staffing firms, and work search firms in general.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business