.tv domains at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Inner Circle

.tv domains

Anyone use these? Thoughts on them?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
A client/colleague of mine uses one. His business name ends in TV though so it was a no-brainer. I think most people will remember the domain name BEFORE the "dot" and tend to add "com". That's why I went with dot com for my domain.
Old January 29th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I have com, net and tv (and sometimes org) for all my domains. Cheap insurance that no matter how much anybody screws up, they end up with you anyway.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #4
Trustee

Our business is mostly web design. A .tv domain is ok if you also own the .com (i.e. yourname.com and yourname.tv).

If you're buying the .tv domain because you can't get the .com - people *will* go to the .com address and send your email to the .com address.

Unfortunately, .com has become the "default" domain - anything else is second best.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 01:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

The problem is, of course, that at this stage of the game, dotcoms that sound anything like anything are already registered.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
The problem is, of course, that at this stage of the game, dotcoms that sound anything like anything are already registered.
That's not entirely true. When I registered my domain 15 months ago, I got my a .com domain with my full company name, Covered Bridge Productions. A bit long but dead easy to remember. What I couldn't get was the abbreviation, CBP.com, but that was OK.

My point is that there are still some out there so don't give it up out of hand. I think the key to a good domain name is to get the easiest one to remember.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Trustee

Yup I am using it iNorthEast.tv
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
I have com, net and tv
Hey Adam,
How about sending me your website links.

info@jeffemery.com

Thanks
Jeff Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2009, 10:59 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
And I heard the same thing back in 2000. I advise clients that have not yet finalized a company name to let the availablity of a .com influence that decision. A lot of very successful companies have used what the US Patent and Trademark office calls a "fanciful name". A made up nonsense name.

For example, instead of "Nelson Video Productions", call it "NoodleQ Video" and register noodleq.com. It's memorable and you're not stuck with a second-best TLD.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business