Web Hosting Services? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 17th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Hello Andrew,

I use Ipower for my hosting and they have been very good. They offer 24 hour phone support and their plans have unlimited bandwidth.

For a cheap and user friendly web design tool you might might want to check out Xara Xtreme or Xara Web designer. They are graphic based web design tools that write the html code for you. Not the best pro code for a huge site like amazon.com, but it works and search engines will see it.
Tim Polster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 08:43 AM   #17
Major Player

I really love our hosting provider IX Web Hosting http://www.ixwebhosting.com. I use Dreamweaver CS4 for design and use Exposure Manager (http://www.exposuremanager.com/index.html) for our online store and photo lab fulfillment. The hosting does come with an eCommerce solution and now all plans include unlimited storage and bandwidth. Although I don't use it they do offer VPS services. One of the things I really like is they customer support. I usually do major updates in the dead of the night and they are there 24 hours a day by phone or chat interface. They are also constantly upgrading and improving the services and product offerings. I have hosted with them for 5 yrs now and couldn't be happier.
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:52 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
...I use Ipower for my hosting and they have been very good. They offer 24 hour phone support and their plans have unlimited bandwidth.
** Thanks for the suggestion; I'll check out their offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Polster View Post
For a cheap and user friendly web design tool you might might want to check out Xara Xtreme or Xara Web designer. They are graphic based web design tools that write the html code for you....
Those tools seem really cool!! I may have to give the XWD tool a shot, most unique web page building tool I have seen yet. Their other tools are cool as well. Not too bad pricing either. Thanks for this tip....much appreciate it!!
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 10:08 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
I really love our hosting provider IX Web Hosting Web Hosting:IX WEB HOSTING:Best Web Hosting Site:Webhosting Provider.
** I'll check out their offerings, thanks for the recommendations.

Quote:
I use Dreamweaver CS4 for design and use Exposure Manager (Welcome to ExposureManager l Home) for our online store and photo lab fulfillment..
** Dreamweaver seems cool, but how would you rate it for ease of use for a novice? And regarding Exposure Manager; so you have a website with EM as well as IX? Are the two linked together? Where do you generate the sale...your site or EM's site? From what I've read on their site, they don't seem to host videos ..... or do they?

Quote:
The hosting does come with an eCommerce solution and now all plans include unlimited storage and bandwidth. Although I don't use it they do offer VPS services.
** Are you referring to IX or EM?

Quote:
One of the things I really like is they customer support. I usually do major updates in the dead of the night and they are there 24 hours a day by phone or chat interface. They are also constantly upgrading and improving the services and product offerings. I have hosted with them for 5 yrs now and couldn't be happier.
** Again are you referring to IX or EM? But whichever you are referring to, it's really great to see that they are providing excellent customer support (which is severely lacking in many companies these days!!) Many thanks again for this info., it's much appreciated.
Andrew Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2010, 04:06 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Clark View Post
...Dreamweaver seems cool, but how would you rate it for ease of use for a novice?
I think it is a very flexible program. I started with GoLive (Adobe CS) and Migrated to Dreamweaver at CS4. If you are looking for a complete WYSIWYG program loaded with pre-designed sites that you tweak then you probably do not want Dreamweaver. However, it does have design templates and if you are familiar with photoshop, you can create some really great graphics. I would recommend the tutorials on Lynda.com as they are much better (IMO) than the adobe training tutorials.

Quote:
...And regarding Exposure Manager; so you have a website with EM as well as IX? Are the two linked together? Where do you generate the sale...your site or EM's site? From what I've read on their site, they don't seem to host videos ..... or do they?..
In addition to video services, we also provide some photography services, so I needed an online store linked to a pro lab that could handle fulfillment. Exposure Manager was a good fit for what i need. EM does not host videos natively but you can import HTML text and customize it heavily. When I need to import clips I host them on my main domain and code them into my EM site, but mostly I use EM for photo sales and online DVD reorders.

Example
My content site: www.TheVideoProfessional.com (Hosted on IX)
My online store: store.TheVideoProfessional.com (Hosted on EM)

Through the magic of domain mapping, my store shows as part of my host domain even though they are handled by different companies.

My content site generates the leads and I lock in contractual video sales through direct contact. The online store is for photo sales, DVD re-orders, and post-event sales.

Another way to think of it, the public portions of my content site serve as the showroom and storefront. This is where a client can find out more about my company and our services. It is a touchpoint (along with our facebook page) for clients to interact with me and gather useful information. The private portions are for direct interaction and feedback, i.e. posting clips, useful information, etc. And the online store is the self-service portion of my site. It is where clients come to place orders from the convenience of their homes without having to call me or mail in order forms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty
The hosting does come with an eCommerce solution and now all plans include unlimited storage and bandwidth. Although I don't use it they do offer VPS services.

** Are you referring to IX or EM?
I am referring to IX. IX includes an eCommerce store but I found it too cumbersome for my needs and I did not want to be responsible for transactional security of CC info. EM already has all the necessary safeguards built in for a safe and secure online shopping experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty
One of the things I really like is the customer support. I usually do major updates in the dead of the night and they are there 24 hours a day by phone or chat interface. They are also constantly upgrading and improving the services and product offerings. I have hosted with them for 5 yrs now and couldn't be happier.

** Again are you referring to IX or EM? But whichever you are referring to, it's really great to see that they are providing excellent customer support (which is severely lacking in many companies these days!!) Many thanks again for this info., it's much appreciated.
I was mainly referring to IX but the customer support at EM is very good too. For me, that is a huge factor. If you treat me right, I tend to be a very loyal customer.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business