What's everyones take on leaving equiptment ... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 19th, 2003, 11:48 AM   #1
Major Player

What's everyones take on leaving equiptment ...

I've never done it and the thought is a little uneasy.

How does everyone feel about leaving their equiptment on location over night? It's an office building and it's over the weekend. If anything, there will be cleaning crews. It's just a ton of stuff to lug around (cam, tripod, lenses, monitor, cables, blah, bla, blah)
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 11:52 AM   #2
Major Player

Mark,

Video gear is a really tempting target for any would be thieves. I personally don't want to tempt them. Unless it could be locked in a very secure location, I wouldn't risk it. I know news photogs that have just set a cam down for a minute or two and had it disappear (and their job with it). As a minimum, take your cam. Monitors, lights and cables are much less tempting.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:29 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I would sooner leave my wife than my gear.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #4
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Don Bloom : I would sooner leave my wife than my gear.

Don -->>>

That's pretty much where I stand. I was really curious if anyone would post they do it and sleep well at night.
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #5
Wrangler

Heck, I don't trust my wife with the gear. One time I needed her to watch the cam for few minutes so I could visit the 'little boys room.' Just as I was about to go in I saw her set it down on table and walk away.

The good news is that our marriage still survives...wait...is that the good news??

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #6
Major Player

I'm thinking extension cords and maybe the tripod
Old September 19th, 2003, 02:09 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Nathan Gifford : Heck, I don't trust my wife with the gear. One time I needed her to watch the cam for few minutes so I could visit the 'little boys room.' Just as I was about to go in I saw her set it down on table and walk away.

The good news is that our marriage still survives...wait...is that the good news?? -->>>

was that an open set where any joe crackhead could walk up and walk away with anything?
Old September 19th, 2003, 03:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I have done overnight type corporate stuff and frankly even when they say, "Don't worry, it'll be safe, see the room locks tight and there's only 1 key" I worry, so I leave nothing. If I can unload it in the morning then I can reload it in the evening. I don't even leave extension cords. If I die during the night, that cord could be my's wifes only method of supporting herself, what with all my millions of life insurance and my kids squandering away the inheritance and all ;-O

Seriously thought, I really don't leave anything but then I don't do that much corp work anymore that requires a lot of stuff, so it's kind of a moot point for me.

A wedding however is different. I take my camera with me to eat and to the boys' room. It looks stupid I know but I would rather keep it with me than ask someone that has no financial interest in it watch it for me cause if something happened to the gear the answer would probably be, "Gee, I just turned away for a second....." My cases and tripod or monopod are probably OK as anyone taking that out of a wedding would look pretty stupid and probably be stopped by someone and if not, oh well, but my camera, that's my livelihood!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2003, 04:32 PM   #9
Warden

It depends on the client. I have had corporate clients with better security than Fort Knox. The odds were greater it would get stollen out of my vehicle or my office or home. I've also had clients with no security and I've taken my equipment with me. Use your best judgment.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2003, 12:48 AM   #10
Inner Circle

i guess htis doesnt jsut fall into the overnight situation, as even leaving gear to go for lunch could be disastrous...

there have been afew weddings where i have actualyl caught people poking in my camera bags...

eyes everywhere im afraid.... :(
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business