Anyone ever tried to sell a show to a TLC or similar station? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 17th, 2003, 08:17 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone ever tried to sell a show to a TLC or similar station?

I've got an idea for a show (don't we all, ha!) and am interested in figuring out the best way to handle the situation.

I'm able to fund the shooting of a pilot, but don't really know the ins and outs of what to do to get them to look at it.

On the one hand, what if I tell them my idea and they take it and run? I do have a friend of a friend that's the producer for a bunch of Trading Spaces type shows for TLC (not TS, but others) but I'm afriad to mention it to her because she's got the connections to run with the show idea if she likes it.

I don't know her so I can't really trust her with it.

Anyway, has anyone ever done this or know someone that has?
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 12:41 AM   #2
Wrangler

You are going to have to trust someone with it if you don't have the experience to sell it yourself.
I'd look into something like a non disclosure agreement that you would have your friend of a friend sign, before you showed her your proposed idea.
Old October 18th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #3
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

TLC is actually part of Discovery Communications, Inc. Lots of suits. Very corporate.

From their site's FAQ page:
Quote:
I think I have a great idea for a show. Who can I send it to? I also know of something really interesting that I think Discovery would like to film. How do I get a film crew to shoot it?

Discovery only accepts submission of program ideas from established production companies. You can get more information about Discovery's program submission policies at the following web site: http://producers.discovery.com/.
Translation: fuggettaboutit

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 07:56 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Tanaka :
Translation: fuggettaboutit
Nah. I think I'll try anyway.

I've sent a message to my friend who knows the producer to see what needs to be done. Not going to get anywhere by giving up.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #5
Major Player

They should send you a release form, basically saying you are providing them with ideas and they are acknowledging the fact. Then you submit the idea. Doing a pilot will do little if anything to get it sold.

Even though their site says they only accept ideas from established production companies, that's more of an attempt to keep down the goofy submission from every Joe and housewife.
But it would be a good idea to put "Producer" or some company name down.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2003, 10:10 AM   #6
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

By all means, Bryan, give it a go. My "translation" remark was meant to be voiced from their mouths, not mine.

Let us know how you do with this.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business