How do you go about selling your work? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 19th, 2003, 01:34 AM   #1
Major Player

How do you go about selling your work?

Lets say I make a great film that is marketable, where would I even begin to try to sell this thing?
Old November 21st, 2003, 09:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

independent distribution--CustomFlix?

If you don't intend to put together a big P&A budget and start entering festivals I'd look into CustomFlix (http://www.customflix.com/).

I thought they might be an option here, but they told me they can't yet offer a distribution pipeline wth Japanese language support---but great option for you in WA. They offer some reasonable packages on their site for short runs.

--has anyone tried CustomFlix?

-Kina Shoukichi, HANA
Victor Panero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #3
Major Player

well I dont want to sell the DVDs one at a time, I was to sell it to a production company for big bucks.

or do I have to enter film festivals and earn some respect or what? I know I could make something fabulous but how am I to protect myself from thieves who could post it on the internet.

anyway im rambling now.

I will say it in caveman speak:
Me make stunning documentry or something fun like Clerks, me want big money without spending big money, so whats a simple caveman to do?

Thanks ;)
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Going the festival route is one way to get "discovered" and possibly selling your FILM to a studio. That's how clerks did it. But a studio is not likely to buy a video. But you might get discovered as a director or writer.
Rob Belics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:37 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Your question is answered in several wonderful books on independant filmmaking. There are a number of ways to structure selling your film, all of them outlined in those books. But the most important thing is that you do , in fact, have a film that someone wants. "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door" is true in any proffession.

"To make rabbit stew... first catch a rabbit."

To sell an independant film for a lot of money, make one that is worth a lot of money.

Our own path where I work, is to make a short, 35mm film, and use it as a tool to raise funds to produce the feature.

That's just one way.

Story is King in indy film - without it, you have to rely on some sort of hook like a "name" star or director, exceptional action sex or violence - exotic locations or costumes.

Good luck
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business