Ethics Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 18th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #1
New Boot

Ethics Question

I recently offered to do a marketing video for a friend that went into a partnership in a new business after being forced out of her recent employment. This is a small manufacturing company just like the one she left. We are prepping the shoot and will be completed with the project in a couple of weeks.
NOW, the guys at the other company are in need of the same type of marketing materials plus training videos as well.
Is it ethical to do both??? If I can do it without sharing info back and forth I think it would be okay........
Any thoughts??
Jim Wharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 02:07 PM   #2
Major Player

Unless you agreed that you wouldn't work for a competitor, then your free and clear.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This is a tough one; but, I think that if I were you, I would ask my friend how she feels about you working for the other company. This may sound naive or cliche but being honest will give you more than it may take from you.

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 05:16 PM   #4
Wrangler

It's a good dilemma because it represents the classic selfish/selfless dichotomy.

As Bryan says, from a legal perspective there's probably no barrier. From a personal perspective, you stand to profit from one road and your friend stands to profit from the other road--it's up to you to decide which is more important to you.

And as Stylianos points out, it's also an issue of transparency--is your modus operandi one of secrecy or full disclosure?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 06:58 PM   #5
Warden

There is a potential for many conflicts and not to mention, damage to your reputation. I do work for a large, multi-national consumer products company. If I ever did work for one of their competitors, and they found out, I would never do work for them again.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks guys. Decisions....decisions.....
Jim Wharton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business