Pricing for DVD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 27th, 2003, 07:22 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Okay WOW awesome amounts of responses. Let me address some of these:

Dylan Couper-

Yeah I know the whole walking thing looks completely amateur, but the thing is... I am. I'm only a senior in high school with VERY limited funds after buying the GL2. So I made due with my hand until futher funding from my pay checks pay for a steadi-cam. My school is about 1700 students... if I can sell 100 copies @ $20 then I could make $2000 minus cost. I would be very happy with that so I could start buying stuff for my senior film. Thank you very much for your input.

Peter Jefferson-

I was just looking for another way out besides having to refund money. They could give a copy to a relative or something. I'll give them the choice on what they want to do.

Glenn Chan-

Ohh don't worry... I'm going to promote the crap out of these things. The cover looks really good and theres been hype about the DVDs ever since I showed the trailer at the banquet.

Peter Moore-

I'm just using my own DVD burner, I know its not professional, but its convenient and cheap. I'll probably get my next project duplicated at a professional place. So what exactly do I have to do to use the Dobly Logo? I found their animated intros on the internet as a VOB file, converted it to avi, and I really want to add it in. Just looking at the legal site of it.. (do I even have to?? its just a class project for my visual media class.)

Thanks guys, you are all really helping me learn this stuff... I just hope I turn some what of a profit.

-Kay

http://www.curtkay.com
I WILL not be held down.
Curt Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Curt, you didn't particularly ask for a critique, just advice on pricing. But, you put your clips out there, so you should expect a few comments.

Your homecoming clip is tedious. The faces of the players, lacking any real emotion passing in an endless procession of fade-to-black transitions grates a nerve after the third one. Show us the singer, show us a wide shot of the crowd -- do something other than pan the players on the sideline over and over.

Also, if you are marketing to parents, your music choices leave something to be desired. On the clips on your website, even if my child was featured, I would have a hard time paying the money to listen to that soundtrack. Of course, that is the head-banging crap that SportsCenter has been leaning toward for the last few years, so your younger audience may be inspired.

You avoided answering the questions about music licensing, so I can only assume that the music you have used is all original, performed by friends who want to gain some exposure. You are really opening yourself up if you are distributing for profit material that has been previously published.
Old December 27th, 2003, 10:59 AM   #18
Trustee

"So what exactly do I have to do to use the Dobly Logo?"

You have to go to their site, fill out all the paperwork, and send samples for "quality assurance." It's a lot of work, and you can't put anything out until they've approved it. Iwould recommend against it for your project.

"I found their animated intros on the internet as a VOB file, converted it to avi, and I really want to add it in. Just looking at the legal site of it.. (do I even have to?? its just a class project for my visual media class.)"

No, you may not use those trailers at all unless you get them officially through Dolby's licensing. Trademark infringement can get you in a lot of trouble (sometimes more than copyrights!) Don't ever use anyone else's logos without permission.

Like I said, just stay away from it. Indicate on your packaging that it's "Digital AC-3 2/0" or something like that. Again, none of your customers are going to care from AC-3.

Oh and finally don't listen to the critics here. You're doing a fine job.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2003, 07:33 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Jeff -
I was expecting some comments on the clips.... thats why I put them here... Anyways, Thank you for your input, I will consider some of your suggestions in my next project or when I have $$$$ to buy another camera (1 cam only right now). The music has been changed due to my father yelling at me when I showed him the "final" version last night.

I have decided not to include the music complications due to the fact that they are real bands and such and I do not have the time or money to get licensing from each of them.

Thanks for your opinion.

Peter Moore-

Okay, so I'm going to scratch the whole dobly intro that I had planned... damn. Yeah the common person really does not care about AC3 or even know what it is.... I'll just add Digital AC-3 2/0 some where on the cover.

Don't worry about the criticism from other members of the board... nothing is compared to my father. :)

-Kay

I WILL not be held down.
Old December 27th, 2003, 09:28 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Curt, you handle criticism much better than most teenagers. I hope you know that I presented it not to knock you down, but to help you grow.

As for cameras and shot variety...you don't need multiple cameras (you can't shoot more than one at a time anyway). You just need to think while you're shooting about how you're going to tell your story. Or even better, think before you start shooting and work from a shot list. There are pros here that can help you with this more than I can. I am a self taught hack. Learning from others mistakes here on the forum is a lot easier than the school of hard knocks.
Old December 28th, 2003, 05:28 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff. I'm used to criticism and I welcome it. If everyone told me I was doing a good job then.. well there would be no reason to improve or grow.

Anyways... I had a screening at my house today and the public liked it... I hope sales pick up so I can make some money.

-Kay

I WILL not be held down.
Old December 28th, 2003, 09:29 AM   #22
Inner Circle

with regard to Dolby TSA, i prolly missed the boat here, but im licensed to carry logos as well as advertise the fact that my work is "set to a professional standard approved by Dolby Labs".. now this is a selling tool.. maybe u might want to consider that in the future...

as for the VOBS, DO NOT, i repeast DO NOT use them.. whatever you do.. for one they are inferior to the theatrical trailers supplied by Dolby Labs, on top of that, you would need to rip the vob apart and re-author.. but thats moving onto other stuff...

apart from that, good luck with your venture.. !!

i wish i started young!!!!
Peter Jefferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2003, 10:38 PM   #23
Wrangler

Here is something I do with the schools that certainly helps the marketing.

I offer the videos for $25 and give the school student body fund $5 of it. They also have to distribute the videos after they are completed so I get out of that terrible task. Distribution can really eat into your profits otherwise.

Everyone is happy and the parents feel good about getting a video while helping the school.

I did a HS graduation and sold the tapes at the entrance to the site. The Principal announced that the tapes were offered and that the school would receive some of the money.

Spur of the moment project paid off quite nicely. I hired two additional crew and ran four cameras.

Then the school paid me very nicely to shoot Grad Night.

You could probably get the Athletic Department to help sell the videos.
Old December 28th, 2003, 11:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I'm trying to keep far away from the ASB of school as possible. The advisor is bias and I've had enough encounters with her (the weird part of this tale is that I was in ASB for the last 4 years until recently). Basically you can find out more information @ www.curtkay.com.

I am going to donate a portion of all proceeds to my dean though. She recently was diagnosed with cancer and her insurance isn't covering all charges.

-Kay

I WILL not be held down.
Curt Kay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business