Tax and Online Retailers at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old December 30th, 2003, 06:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Tax and Online Retailers

Do you have to pay sales tax if you buy online from a retailer like B&H (assuming you don't live in NY)?
Chris Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:25 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I don't know if this applies to non-professionals, but I know professional shooters in Texas are required to pay some form of local tax on goods bought from out of state. This would only become known if you're audited, but if you are...and haven't paid...you'll get stung.

As I said, that was my experience in Texas...I'm guessing it's different in every state?
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:39 PM   #3
Outer Circle

You pay no state tax, if it's being shipped out of state to another state. But you may or may not be dinged local state tax---depending if there is one, how good your state is with collecting the tax, and finding out about the purchase.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:44 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Right...and that's where the "audit" card comes into play. I'd check with your local tax authority. Two things are certain in life...
Old December 30th, 2003, 07:53 PM   #5
Warden

You also have to pay a state sales tax if the operation has a unit doing business in the state being shipped to. For example, Apple Computer charges state sales tax on mail order (online) shipments if they have a retail store in your state.

Some online retailers get around this by setting up a separate corporation for their online sales. Ritz/Wolf Camera is an example of this. They have retail operations in 48 states, yet charge no state sales tax on online sales.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2003, 11:23 PM   #6
Rextilleon

By the letter of the law, you are required to report the purchase and to pay the tax in your state--(all states that have a sales tax require this). although this seldom happens, and as John said you will only get stung if the taxman finds out. I wager a guess that 90% of those who purchase products out of state never pay state taxes even though they should. Actually, a common ploy of the rich is to purchase an expensive item in one state and give a friends residence in another state in order to avoid taxes. I believe that that is one of the charges against the guy from TYCO currently on trial in New York. I think in his case the items were fine paintings.
David Mintzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 10:56 AM   #7
Major Player

the worst thing is in mass. the tax is a use tax which is higher than what the mass sales tax is!

matthew
Matthew de Jongh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2003, 11:21 AM   #8
Trustee

It's TAX FREE in New Hampshire always, so you get a great deal. Also, Great Northern Video has given me great deals before...tell them Chris Murphy sent you please!

I'd like to suggest Chris Hurd check them out for a possible sponsor. They're great on pricing...actually THE best I've ever found. The contacts I have there are Kurt Detwiler and Kevin Long.

Murph
Old January 8th, 2004, 10:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here in MN I believe you only have to pay this "Use Tax" if your out of state purchases exceed $770 (for 2003). If it does you pay tax on the whole shot. Additionally, If you paid any state tax from another state, and that tax rate was lower than MN's sales tax, you pay the difference.

Best thing is is to check it out with your state. You can likely do it online.
Kent Fraser is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business