How to obtain permission to use movie clips? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old January 5th, 2004, 04:57 PM   #1
Major Player

How to obtain permission to use movie clips?

Ok, I did search and if this is answered (and I'm sure it's got to be) I just can't find it.

So I'm sorry for posting this if it already exists.

I'm shooting a seminar a client is doing that he wants to sell. It's a business consulting seminar.

In his presentation he uses clips from a movie (Simon Birch). He'd like those to be in the product we make for him.

Who in the world do I start asking about this and is there any chance in the world that we'll be able to get permission?

He's willing to pay a fee (if he deems it reasonable).

Thanks for any help!
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

you go down to your local video rental store - find it - see who has copyright or who is distributing (hollywood pictures ?? ) .. start there ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 09:54 PM   #3
Trustee

Find out from IMDB what studio producd Simon Birch. Then you have to contact the corporate office and ask permission. I hate to tell you but in all likelihood they will not give it. Large corporate copyright owners virtually never license their materials to individuals or small businesses. They only do so when big money is involved.

Your friend also might want to obtain a legal opinion as to whether what he's doing is fair use, and if so he wouldn't need permisison at all.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business