Concerning copyrights... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Closed Thread

Old January 23rd, 2004, 03:05 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Concerning copyrights...

I honestly didn't know exactly which forum to post this is, so go ahead and move it if need be.

I am wondering how to deal with copyrighted material in my films, particularly songs and writings. As you can imagine, I have only just begun my film career and the only projects I will be working on in the near future are my own independent, very very low budget nonsense. I don't want to screw up in this day and age messing around with copyrighted material without proper consent, so that's why I'm here.

I intend to use plain ol' songs recorded by various bands as backround music/mood music in my films. These films will not make a profit of any sort, they are simply to give myself more experience and to explore my creativeness. How do I go about contacting the proper authorities to use any given song in my films. Is it even necessary? Will I have to pay anyone? Or perhaps is it only necessary that I acknowledge the bands and the songs that I use?

Also, I plan to use various texts...for example, dialogue from Calvin and Hobbes...probably verbatim. Seeing as how that dialogue is strictly owned by Bill Watterson, how would it be possible to use that same dialogue in my films? Do I need to contact anyone and ask permission? If so, who controls that aspect of Mr. Watterson's work, and how should I go about asking for the rights to use it? Or as in with the songs, do I simply have to make reference to Mr. Watterson and Calvin and Hobbes in the credits?

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Old January 23rd, 2004, 04:59 AM   #2
Warden

Frank, do a search here in the business section, using the name Paul Tauger. Paul is very helpful with his comments and thoughts on copyright matters. If you can't find the exact answer your looking for, please post in an existing thread on this topic.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business