DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Where do you shop in Canada? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/21742-where-do-you-shop-canada.html)

Anthony Williams February 21st, 2004 09:47 PM

Where do you shop in Toronto?

I am looking for some help in locating a dv retailer that has been around for a while. I am new to the world of dv and would like to build a relationship with a good reputable dealer (business always works better this way) preferably in the Toronto area. I am in London for the time being, but I am in Toronto every other w/e.

I have obviously heard of Henry's but I would rather find a one stop independent shop. dvshop.ca looks good. AVR.ca does not give much info on their website which is never good although they are closer to me in Scarborough.

vistek.ca, adencamera.com, suggestions?

Frank Granovski February 21st, 2004 10:33 PM

Canada's a big country. I do most of my shopping at Leo's (Vancouver).

Closer to T.O.? Ask Bryan Beasleigh. He would know.

David Hurdon February 26th, 2004 06:42 AM

I'm in Toronto and frequent DVShop on Dundas West (dvshop.ca). Terry is a MAC guy and so is his shop, but a substantial part of his inventory is o/s agnostic - heads, tripods, tape, cables, cameras, bags, firewire drives etc. His prices are good compared to Vistek and Henry's but naturally for many pricey items the web will beat him. Excellent resource to have on your list but you'll need others for some categories - like lighting.

David Hurdon

Anthony Williams February 26th, 2004 09:02 AM

just trying to limit the spending to a few shops...
thanks for the input guys...

Ronald Lee February 27th, 2004 01:51 AM

You shop at Leo's Frank?

Leo's is hardly a complete store for DV. Have you tried Lorne Lapham, Martix. or Precision Camera?

Say, are you in the film or video industry in Vancouver at all?

Frank Granovski February 27th, 2004 02:53 AM

Huh? I'm a hand-held type of guy. I buy my miniDV tapes at London Drugs (when they're on sale), VHS tapes at Superstore (where they're always on sale), and most other stuff at Leo's. But when I can't find something I search the globe. :-))

But for small cam deals, it's B&H or Japan. :-))

I only bought once from B&H. It was an SLR and lens. Great price, no complications. :-))

L*rn*'s usually doesn't have what I want (I called them earlier today). M**tix and Pr*c*s*on are much the same plus overpriced.
Quote:

Say, are you in the film or video industry in Vancouver at all?
Nope. Not at all, although I do have several friends who are.

Ronald Lee February 27th, 2004 10:16 AM

From B&H....I'm thinking about buying a camera from the US, but the duty fee will end up making it cost the same.

BUT, it does come with an incredible accessories package.

But then again, no warranty....sigh

Keith Loh February 27th, 2004 10:31 AM

I bought my XL1S through Annex Pro in Vancouver. Good service. The price was maybe within $150 of any other place in Vancouver but I wanted piece of mind. I've picked up some accessories including my tripod and head from Leo's. Commercial Electronics is good for other small price accessories like XLR cables. Most of the time when I rent I get it from Lorne Lapham.

Frank Granovski February 27th, 2004 01:24 PM

Ronald, there is no Duty when you buy a cam from the US, Japan or Australia. The only thing you get dinged is PST and GST, just like if you bought something locally. Say if you buy a Pana PV-DV953 from B&H. Buy the time you get it (after shipping cost and taxes), you save almost $1000 Canadian!