How much for a wedding video? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old February 28th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #16
Major Player

Or... "the bride", "the bride", and "the bride"...

BTW, really, unless you come high recommended (i.e. you have been in business many years and greased many a palms), you are not going to get $2000 or $3000, regardless of how good you are.

Remember, Vincent Van Gogh sold only one painting in his entire life time. It was after his death that sales of his painting took off, benefiting his brother and family...

I remember when I started, I pegged the price at $2000, no taker (except friends whom I charged close to nothing). Then I charge $1000, no taker.

And my video, like yours, are better than anyone's. I even compared mine side-by-side to those who charge $2000-$3000, no comparison.

Better video (theirs are darker, don't look like Sony), their preacher sounded like a bad echo chamber (improper/no mic for preacher) while mine sounded clear as a bell better than broadcast TV, better angles, theirs have no menu -- has to fast-forward and reverse (mine does), etc.

And my cameras alone total close to $10K.

No taker.

Until I took it down to starter price. Now I have a dozen contracts, more I hope as we head towards wedding season.

Over the next few years, I will slowly increase the price, once the word gets out there.

I did hear a good news today. The nearby MotoPhoto just went out of business. Less one potential competitor for cheap video. Of course, we all feel sorry for the owner...

Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 05:30 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Off-topic

<<<-- I'd say the most important things to have in a wedding video are:
1) sound quality
2) smooth camera work (no jerky Uncle Henry Cam)
3) consistant quality
4) fluid editing
5) capture all the important moments.
-->>>

You have to check this out: http://www.bluecoremedia.com/movieclips.html After seeing that, I think you'd have to add content to the top of your list.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 06:07 PM   #18
Inner Circle

To get a good idea of what you need to charge higher prices in Canada look at www.dmbvideo.com for one and search for joe macmanus or mcmanus in Canada as well (soory, I can't remember his site at the moment)
You will see diverse styles and more importantly read the history of each to see how long they've been around and what they offer. Then look at the samples and judge for yourself if you feel you could charge the higher price.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 07:00 PM   #19
Wrangler

Re: Off-topic

<<<-- Originally posted by Glenn Chan : <<<-- I'd say the most important things to have in a wedding video are:
1) sound quality
2) smooth camera work (no jerky Uncle Henry Cam)
3) consistant quality
4) fluid editing
5) capture all the important moments.
-->>>

You have to check this out: http://www.bluecoremedia.com/movieclips.html After seeing that, I think you'd have to add content to the top of your list. -->>>

No, not really. I'd rather have clean sound and a smooth shot during the exchanging of vows than extra footage of the bride getting ready. I didn't rank mine in order of importance though.
Old March 7th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #20
Major Player

Glenn, thanks for that link. That's some pretty powerful stuff as far as weddings go.

I zoned out while watching the "getting ready" clip... beautiful people presented beautifully.

I started thinking about life, my own wedding and divorce, and all kinds of shhhtuff.

Hopefully that guy's weddings are priced pretty high... IMO that does make a good argument for content.

The accompanying piano, so subtly mixing with location sound, is also perfect.

If anybody can send me any kind of demo or sample of what they deliver for $1000 to $1500 I'd be happy to Paypal you for the effort...
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #21
Wrangler

If a wedding video runs $3000, I wonder how much a divorce wedding costs??? <g>

Matt, I might have one last VHS copy of a wedding I did that would fall in that price range (based on amount of work). I'll see if I can find it for you.
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:45 PM   #22
Major Player

Dylan, I'm in St. Louis, MO, but if you can send one to me I'll pay you.

I had a friend here in STL that was going to show me an example of what his uncle did... but as usual with the STL scene, most people are all talk and no substance... "My uncle doesn't think it's ok to show other people his work."

Yet another worthless connection...

Sooo, if you can hook me up I'll pay AND be thankful!!!
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2004, 06:47 PM   #23
Wrangler

Matt
I found a copy (got to watch it and make sure its a final copy).

Email me your shipping info.

You may have to keep bugging me for the better part of the week to make sure I send it. Got a bunch of stuff to do this week and I'm forgetfull.
Old March 21st, 2004, 04:13 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Wow, I see some bad advice being thrown around.

Mr. Law, it sounds like there is something wrong with your business if your work is better than the 3K guys but you can't even sell a 1K job yourself. Maybe it's you?

I just started my own biz and only after 6 months of shooting my first wedding (which I charged 1K for) I'm already up to $1500. I currently work alone but shoot with two cameras and spend quite a few hours editing. Within a year or so I hope to be up to $2,000. My goal is to do 20 $2,000 jobs a year within 3 years.

Too many of you are such pessimists. It's no wonder we get no respect in this industry. Just look at what most photographers give their clients for 3K...it's pathetic.
Mathew Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2004, 05:53 PM   #25
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Mathew Evan :
Too many of you are such pessimists. It's no wonder we get no respect in this industry. Just look at what most photographers give their clients for 3K...it's pathetic. -->>>

Not that we are pessimists, really (some of us anyway). Markets differ greatly from one area to another.

IMHO If a photographer gets $3k for a wedding shoot, a videographer should get $8000+ for it, including editing time. Any suggestions how to accomplish this?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business