DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   What's in a name Pt II (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/23520-whats-name-pt-ii.html)

Dylan Couper March 25th, 2004 03:45 PM

What's in a name Pt II

I'm making this a seperate thread than the other, since I want to focus on one thing with this one, while the previous thread delt with the generalities of creating a name.

I've decided to switch to using my name for my company. The only choice now is:

Dylan Couper Productions

or

Couper Productions

I'd appreciate feedback into one or the other.
Thanks!

Note: I've decided to just use Production instead of Video Productions, since I think if it is coming up in conversation, Video will be assumed.

Richard Alvarez March 25th, 2004 04:03 PM

"Productions" leaves you the ability to do theatrical, film, musical, dramatic, etc.

Don Bloom March 25th, 2004 06:16 PM

I like Dylan Couper Productions.

3 word names generally have a nice full ring when speaking it.

Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Productions,Dylan Couper Production.

Yep, works for me!

Don B.
(if you decide NOT to use it, can I? I know there would be a tiny problem as I'm not Dylan Couper BUT it has a certain sound...let me know ;-O)

Michael Wisniewski March 25th, 2004 09:13 PM

I like Dylan Couper Productions, it has a nice ring and it's memorable. Plus, you can still use Couper Productions.

It's inevitable, of course, Mr. Couper, that you will end up being known as DCP - so I'd try and take care of that too.

Kevin Burnfield March 25th, 2004 09:29 PM

Gee, that sounds very self-serving doesn't it?

:) only joking...

the nice thing about using your name in the prodco name is that you don't have to worry about there being other companies out there with the same name.

Just see which one rolls off your tongue best when you say it and if it comes across clear--- that and how it might work into a logo.

Dylan Couper March 26th, 2004 01:28 AM

Don, we could trade!

Don Bloom March 26th, 2004 07:09 AM

Dylan,
I studied the trade offer and discussed it with my "cabinet" (wife) and have decided to, unfortunately decline, at this time, as she insisted that if we were to trade then YOU would have to have all of my assests including her. Now don't get me wrong, she's a great cabinet memeber and an even better wife BUT frankly after 35 years I have become somewhat adjusted to her hanging around and yes, her very steady,very large paycheck PLUS we are taking another cruise in May and, damnit man, I won't give that up, you can push RCA plugs under my nails I won't break...(however after we return, perhaps we could resume talks) :-)
Thank you for your patience and assistance in this matter,
Don B.

Frank Granovski March 26th, 2004 03:32 PM

Dylan Couper Productions or Couper Productions? They are both good. But why do you want to use your name? To build "a name?" If that's the case go with Dylan Couper Productions.

Hagop Matossian March 30th, 2004 10:48 PM

Why not choose something weird and or unusual? Like Peninsula Productions? or Merry Minstrels? Or The Edit Shack? or Dragon Discs? or Robo-Magic?

Find an old sixties product/company, use the name

surely using your own name is a bit of a cop out - unless you really need to make sure people spell it properly on the cheque!

Keith Loh March 31st, 2004 12:36 AM

Cop out?

Hey man, I would totally remember Hagop Matossian Productions.

Dylan Couper March 31st, 2004 01:46 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Hagop Matossian :

surely using your own name is a bit of a cop out - unless you really need to make sure people spell it properly on the cheque! -->>>

My company is currently called Pyroglyph Films. The name change is a marketing choice based on many decisions. Sure it isn't as original, but if it increases my word of mouth business by 50%, I don't care.

As for as using your name as a cop out, ask the major automobile manufacturers what they think.

Mike Butler April 19th, 2004 05:59 PM

When I started my dj business (a looong time ago!) I went through the fanciful names, even had cards printed, signs made, etc. But it came down to people saying "who DJed your event?" "Oh, Mike Butler did, I forget the name of his company but maybe you can call his house..." So it's been "Music by DJ Michael Butler" ever since; even have a logo that says exactly that. Although I do fall back on "Cat Scratch Studios" when I need a little anonymity. And I suspect that anonymity is not what you are looking for at this juncture.

Dylan Couper April 19th, 2004 06:23 PM

Mike, exactly my thoughts as well.
I'm currently in the process of changing the name to Dylan Couper Productions.