Help with Camera Insurance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Help with Camera Insurance

I just got my HM100. As mentioned in a previous post of mine I also got the sagemax protection plan. I want to totally insure my camera. I called geico to see if the provide a policy for accidental damage they don't. Can someone recommend an insurance company? I'm worried about dropping my new HM100:-(

thanks again,
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Difficult one to answer, with a global community. Best do a Google search. I can insure my £8,000 worth of equipment for about £180 per year, here in the UK.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:03 PM   #3
Major Player

This is who we go through... RV Nuccio & Associates | Videographer Insurance Coverage Summary it about $680 a year, but we cover our $80,000 worth of equipment, computers, EVERYTHING. And it has a $2,000,000 liability plan included. $250 deductible. It's a really good deal, we shopped around a lot when as soon as we knew where were buying a Red One.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:49 PM   #4
Trustee

I will read the policy on the website, but can you tell me in general what the liability covers and what it does not?

Okay, I found my answer... the liability only covers passport photography and wedding/event videography.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Major Player

I talked to my insurance company about a year ago, (State Farm) and as I remember (fuzzy memory) it was 5% of the price paid in yearly premium. This included dropping, stealing, forgetting at a site and virtually everything you could think of for full 100% replacement. It was under a photographer's gear type of account. Basically everything except just plain wearing out. That being said, I could be wrong (I have often been in my life) but that's what I remember. The only reason I haven't done it yet, is I'm planning a HM700 and didn't want to bother with my HD110 since I think I'm selling it to a TV station this month. If not I'll insure it.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #6
Trustee

Here's a site for production insurance of all kinds:
DICE and Annual Productions : ProductionInsurance.com
Old June 3rd, 2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Great! thanks for the link I'll check it out.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
I will read the policy on the website, but can you tell me in general what the liability covers and what it does not?

Okay, I found my answer... the liability only covers passport photography and wedding/event videography.
Exactly... liability only covers event/wedding videography. For what else are you going to need liability for an HM100? I don't think he plans on shooting a feature film with an HM100 that would involve stunts, squibs, animals, pyrotechnics, etc. any time soon.

RV Nuccio is going to cover your liability for what you would use an hm100 for... weddings and events, plays, recitals, etc. It will also cover your gear if you break it, it gets stolen, lost, etc.

I'm pretty sure that's what he is looking for.

He probably doesn't need "Production" insurance that is going to cover much much greater costs including workmans comp, etc.
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Waite View Post
Exactly... liability only covers event/wedding videography. For what else are you going to need liability for an HM100?
Simple narrative (e.g. web series). Instruction video. Documentary. Dance or music studio rehearsal.

The last time I shot a wedding I used Pentax Spotmatic, and I have no upcoming bookings to use a video camera on.
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
Simple narrative (e.g. web series). Instruction video. Documentary. Dance or music studio rehearsal.
I'm not one to start arguments on forums, but I think you are arguing semantics here. Dance or music studio rehearsals last time I checked IS an event. As far as instructional, if it's anything serious you are going to need A LOT more than liability insurance... errors and omissions etc. I've spoken to the broker, this plan is geared towards photographers and videographers doing portraits, events, and weddings yes, but it will cover just about any domestic shoot with your own employees that is contracted, period.

With that said, he wanted to know about a floater to cover his camera... as in property damage, loss, theft, etc. This plan will do just that.
Old June 4th, 2009, 11:39 PM   #11
Major Player

I do a lot of filming on my motorcycle. My wife does the filming while I drive. With a $4000 camera I worry:-(
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:56 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Difficult one to answer, with a global community. Best do a Google search. I can insure my £8,000 worth of equipment for about £180 per year, here in the UK.
I'm looking for insurance myself. Who is it you use and what's your experience like with them?
Louis Demontez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM   #13
Major Player

Has anyone ever filed a claim w/any of these insurers?

What is the collective experience there?
How often/how large/small was the claim(s)?
How hard/involved was it to file a claim?
What proof was required?

The value of insurance is directly related to a company's ability/willingness to pay claims.
I suspect that's just as - or maybe even more important than the price.

Responses describing experience welcome.

Thanks.
Our actions are based on our own experience and knowledge. Thus, no one is ever totally right, nor totally wrong. We simply act from what we "know" to be true, based on that experience and knowledge. Beyond that, we pose questions to others.
Denis Danatzko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business