DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Canadian Taxes (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/23776-canadian-taxes.html)

Barry Cheong March 29th, 2004 11:33 PM

Canadian Taxes

Hi,

I've never been able to get a straight answer on taxes when shipping things from the US. I'm based here in Toronto Canada and wondering whether I would be dinged 15% (GST/PST) if shipping a DVX100A with a few additional accessories from the States. The only other thing I've ever ordered from the US were some books from The ASC. Wasn't charged any taxes there. Those particular items came via UPS and I was only charged shipping and the damn $30 UPS brokerage fee. Are some items exempt? Will I get charged 15% if ordering a DVX100 for the US? Camera would come via Fedex.

Thanks

Barry Cheong March 29th, 2004 11:42 PM

As a follow up I just got my UPS statement for The ASC stuff that I had shipped. There is in fact a GST charge for the Duty value.

Once again would Fedex bill the same way? 7% on the set duty value? or do they bill the full 15%? How does one determine the duty value or is it set arbitrarily by the vendor?

Thanks again.

Keith Loh March 30th, 2004 12:13 AM

There is a number you can call on the Revenue Canada site (or whatever they call it). A guy there will tell you what you have to pay. You just have to hunt for it on the website.

Frank Granovski March 30th, 2004 12:25 AM

There is no duty from the US. Free Trade, remember?

The taxes you will pay are the same as you would pay for goods bought locally. That's PST and GST. In Alberta, it's only GST, last time I checked.

In future, go the Blue Pages, Federal government, and call their 1-800 number. (They will tell you the same thing.)
Quote:

the damn $30 UPS brokerage fee.
You paid this because you used their regular ground service. If you would have used their 3-day ground, or something like that, the brokerage fee would have been built-in with the shipping cost.

Barry Cheong March 30th, 2004 08:55 AM

Hey Frank,

That's what I always thought...15% (in the case of Ontario anyways). How come there was no 8% (PST) on my stuff from The ASC then? Also who would end up billing me for the 15%? Fedex or does the government send me something after the fact?

Thanks.

Raimo Repo March 30th, 2004 09:33 AM

Although I have not actually ordered anything from the US in the way of Video equipment, I plan to do so shortly. In preparation for that I e-mailed several Canadians who have actually ordered from B&H to find out what was involved. I found that no brokerage fees are involved if you use US postal parcel delivery. You pay only GST and Provincial sales tax. The only problem with postal service is that for very expensive items ( in excess of say $1500 ) there could be insurance problems. One individual ordered a DV953 which took just 4 or 5 days to get to Ontario..no hitches at all.

Barry Cheong March 30th, 2004 12:39 PM

Raimo,

How do they figure out how much to tax? In the case of Fedex I'm assuming they charge you based on the Customs value on the waybill. Is that correct?

Ya would definitely not send via US postal service. I'd be so nervous!

Frank Granovski March 30th, 2004 02:02 PM

Barry, is that a US company? Usually when you order from another province, you are not dinged PST, unless that company is regestered Canada wide. Like I suggested, phone the 1-800 number for more information.

Barry Cheong March 30th, 2004 03:08 PM

Frank,

The ASC (American Society of Cinematographers) are based in L.A California. My UPS statement reflects a GST charge based on a duty value of $53.12 CAD...My total purchase was probably around $110-115 CAD after the exchange. That's what has me confused. If in fact the full 15% is taxed on items from the States why is there no PST charge on my UPS statement? Are certain items taxed 8% and some not?

Once again I'm just asking these things rhetorically and I really appreciate the responses that I'm getting here. Essentially I'm trying to figure out whether to buy a camera locally or from the US of which GST/PST will make a big difference. I will try calling the 1-800 for sure. Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Frank Granovski March 30th, 2004 03:20 PM

Was it sent as a gift? Maybe UPS screwed-up? Why worry about money you didn't have to pay.

Barry Cheong March 30th, 2004 03:43 PM

I ordered the books myself.

Ya it's certainly great if I didn't have to pay it. I guess the bigger deal at stake here is for the future. Like what's going to happen if I order a $5000 camera. That extra 8% is going to make a big deal.

I'm so confused.

Frank Granovski March 30th, 2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

I'm so confused.
Should I get that number out of the blue pages for you? :-))

Barry Cheong March 30th, 2004 04:01 PM

Sorry Frank,

I'm beginning to vent. Thanks for offering :-)

I will give them a call....now where is that phone book that I always use as a makeshift apple box...lol

Thanks.

Jimmy McKenzie March 30th, 2004 04:35 PM

Inbound goods manufactured in the USA yeild no duty at the border, except for certain categories. This is more the exception though.
Your shipper and importer of record will charge applicable taxes based on the declaration form which must be filed by the shipper.

Often this service is also charged for as a duty prep fee and that fee is also subject to GST.

Any other form of importation such as product valued at less than fifteen bucks or a bone fide gift, product sample or warranty exchange is exempt in most cases.

Otherwise, you are on the hook for federal and provincial taxes when goods are shipped from the US into Canada. Unless of course the product is for resale, than you are PST exempt so long as you have filed with your distributor.

Best to just shop Canadian!!
...and you get the bonus of a Canadian warranty....

Barry Cheong March 30th, 2004 08:33 PM

Thanks Jimmy,

That seems to make sense and varifies what Frank said - also thanks again Frank. I still don't know why there was no PST on my books (bought for personal use) from California but I'll let that go. You all are saying that there is 15% on items from the U.S and that seems to make sense.

Will call the almighty 1-800 number tomorrow to confirm.

Thanks again everyone for your patience and source of knowledge to this inexperienced cross-border shopper.