DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   Getting the most of your clients uploading your finished video to the web (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/239765-getting-most-your-clients-uploading-your-finished-video-web.html)

Andrew Smith July 26th, 2009 07:05 AM

Getting the most of your clients uploading your finished video to the web

Just an idea I had ...

On a DVD, there is the 10% outer region of the image (ie. not the 'safe area') which is not shown in the viewable area of a TV. But it's still there on the video frame.

Why not put something like "Copyright 2009 Really Good Video Productions" etc along the very bottom within this area? It's not going to be seen on the TV playback but will be seen when it is played back on the computer/internet.

Your thoughts?

Andrew

Adam Gold July 26th, 2009 11:13 AM

Not a bad idea, but my understanding is that newer TVs -- i.e. Plasma and LCDs -- don't have an overscan issue, or at least they don't have to, like CRTs.

Chris Davis July 26th, 2009 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Gold (Post 1176913)
Not a bad idea, but my understanding is that newer TVs -- i.e. Plasma and LCDs -- don't have an overscan issue, or at least they don't have to, like CRTs.

Surprisingly, even though LCD/plasma TVs have the ability to show pixel-perfect image placement, many HDTVs still overscan (when viewing broadcast material.) For 1080i or 1080p material only the central 1776x1000 pixels are presented to the viewer. For 720p material it is only the central 1152x648 pixels.

Adam Gold July 26th, 2009 05:16 PM

Do you know if this is true of all or only some? I thought I read somewhere that while some still do this, of those that do many have setting where you can turn this off.

Jason Robinson July 31st, 2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Davis (Post 1177010)
Surprisingly, even though LCD/plasma TVs have the ability to show pixel-perfect image placement, many HDTVs still overscan (when viewing broadcast material.) For 1080i or 1080p material only the central 1776x1000 pixels are presented to the viewer. For 720p material it is only the central 1152x648 pixels.

I can verify that this overscan is still hapening on HD TVs (at least one I used at a trade show). I was quite surprised it still occurs.

Jonathan Shaw July 31st, 2009 11:11 PM

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma and it still shows pretty much to the edge of the frame.

Brian Boyko August 22nd, 2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Smith (Post 1176829)
On a DVD, there is the 10% outer region of the image (ie. not the 'safe area') which is not shown in the viewable area of a TV. But it's still there on the video frame.

Why not put something like "Copyright 2009 Really Good Video Productions" etc along the very bottom within this area? It's not going to be seen on the TV playback but will be seen when it is played back on the computer/internet.

You're better off simply giving your clients a version without the watermark for personal use, and a version with a watermark for uploading to the Web.

That "not safe area" is still viewable on a HDTV, as well as most newer TV players. The reason it's called the "Safe area" is because that's the area that will play on the worst of old, analog TVs.