Getting the most of your clients uploading your finished video to the web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 26th, 2009, 07:05 AM   #1
Equal Opportunity Offender

Getting the most of your clients uploading your finished video to the web

Just an idea I had ...

On a DVD, there is the 10% outer region of the image (ie. not the 'safe area') which is not shown in the viewable area of a TV. But it's still there on the video frame.

Why not put something like "Copyright 2009 Really Good Video Productions" etc along the very bottom within this area? It's not going to be seen on the TV playback but will be seen when it is played back on the computer/internet.

Your thoughts?

Andrew
Andrew Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Not a bad idea, but my understanding is that newer TVs -- i.e. Plasma and LCDs -- don't have an overscan issue, or at least they don't have to, like CRTs.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gold View Post
Not a bad idea, but my understanding is that newer TVs -- i.e. Plasma and LCDs -- don't have an overscan issue, or at least they don't have to, like CRTs.
Surprisingly, even though LCD/plasma TVs have the ability to show pixel-perfect image placement, many HDTVs still overscan (when viewing broadcast material.) For 1080i or 1080p material only the central 1776x1000 pixels are presented to the viewer. For 720p material it is only the central 1152x648 pixels.
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Do you know if this is true of all or only some? I thought I read somewhere that while some still do this, of those that do many have setting where you can turn this off.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
Surprisingly, even though LCD/plasma TVs have the ability to show pixel-perfect image placement, many HDTVs still overscan (when viewing broadcast material.) For 1080i or 1080p material only the central 1776x1000 pixels are presented to the viewer. For 720p material it is only the central 1152x648 pixels.
I can verify that this overscan is still hapening on HD TVs (at least one I used at a trade show). I was quite surprised it still occurs.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Major Player

I have a Panasonic Viera Plasma and it still shows pretty much to the edge of the frame.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Smith View Post
On a DVD, there is the 10% outer region of the image (ie. not the 'safe area') which is not shown in the viewable area of a TV. But it's still there on the video frame.

Why not put something like "Copyright 2009 Really Good Video Productions" etc along the very bottom within this area? It's not going to be seen on the TV playback but will be seen when it is played back on the computer/internet.
You're better off simply giving your clients a version without the watermark for personal use, and a version with a watermark for uploading to the Web.

That "not safe area" is still viewable on a HDTV, as well as most newer TV players. The reason it's called the "Safe area" is because that's the area that will play on the worst of old, analog TVs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business