Anyone shoot with armed Forces for feature/short? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 18th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone shoot with armed Forces for feature/short?

Researching posibility of a feature with the Army as a backdrop. It would be pro-military. action-adventure, hiphop shootemup. Basic training and desert scenes.

I've found some info on items needed to get assistance from the US Army, but looking for anyone whose jumped the hoops and has any first-hand info to share?
Expensive? Worthwhile? Easier to bypass their whole process and try to do it yourself? Ignorance may be bliss.

Thanks,

Jeff Patnaude
Jeff Patnaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Air China Pilot

I don't know how it is in the States but I've spoken extensively with a big producer in Canadian TV (I'm workshopping a military feature film) who made a miniseries about peacekeepers. As I recall, they did receive assistance from the military but they worked more with ex-military consultants. The fact that the script was very realistic gave it a lot of value both to the ex-military and to the uniforms. He said that the script could be negative or positive, it didn't matter as long as it didn't stretch the reality. So the more realistic it is, even if the story is somewhat negative, it at least portrays the challenges correctly. This is why Hollywood involves people like Captain Dale Dye to not only provide correct information and realism but also to provide a face to the military public (most of who will be in the audience, of course) to show that they are treating the subject with proper diligence.

I would think that in the States there are so many ex-military that you should be able to at least get someone to look at your script and spot obvious problems or ways it can be improved.

The rest is up to your budget.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business