70 million dollar lawsuit and my footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 27th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #16
New Boot

I am working with a lawyer and have been for a week. Just feel my problem will be of help to others.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2004, 11:08 AM   #17
Trustee

Then he should have told you to stop making public comments about this that he doesn't screen, since everything you say can potentially be used against you in court.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #18
Wrangler

Yeah, what Peter said.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 03:28 PM   #19
Contributor

Too bad Rich you and this person are on such ill terms. You could both help each other out. He could consent you making the documentary and you could authorise he use some of your material in court.
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:35 PM   #20
Major Player

having just been screwed out of some dough by an agency that went out of biz. I can reiterate what I've learned.

1. get 1/2 up front

2. get it / send it in writing

I just cut a Sprite trends video that was just a horror show from start to finish and since I had not updated my rates ended up taking the job at last years rates... foster an 8 year client relationship... yadda yadda. But at 6am with problems on top of problems I felt pretty angry.
The next biz day I recontacted their buyers and got my updated rates/info out first thing. and while I could have tried to bill them time and a half for 8 of the 20 hours straight I didn't as I didn't communicate that upfront.

think transparency or ask and you shall (more often than not) receive. Just not after the fact...

Since you're not seeing diddly from this and this dude is suing to try and get something out of it isn't it in your interest to oblige and hope he get some dough? Then you could sue him for services rendered if he won't pay you for work you are owed.
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:40 PM   #21
Major Player

POINT 1) Could he put a watermark on the film?

POINT 2) Without anything in writing, Rich's version of the verbal contract is as good as his "partners" verbal contract. All has to be hashed out in a legal forum. The court, possibly jury, should lean a little toward Rich's side because 1) he obviously did a lot of work. 2) he obviously hasn't been paid for the work. Judges and juries, for the most part, don't like people being run over by a shyster regardless.

I sat on the jury of a case involving 1/2 million dollar lawsuit. Similar circumstance. No written contract. Some warning though. . . be careful how you stress the word "Partner". If you were "Partners" you could get deeper into this.

If you don't do anything else, take everyones advice and at least talk to a lawyer.
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:55 PM   #22
Warden

No offense intended, but Paul and Peter are attorneys and their advice should be heeded.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2004, 06:51 AM   #23
Major Player

"Young" concert promoter + spoken contract + change of heart that kills the project = Guy who wants to snooker your footage away from you for his own purpose.

Yes I would retain an attorney to protect the value of your footage. Tell the attorney ALL the details of the case. Wait for further progress on the matter and start editing your footage into whatever you want to do with it.

Call it a gut feeling based on past experiences... but "70 million" is a dazzling number... What is the REAL value of the issue? Was it the Rolling Stones that you were making a documentary about? I think this is another case of somebody wanting to cut and run with your footage... If you hand it over this guy will probably dissappear... hoping to produce his own work from YOUR work... and cutting you out of the equation.

Locally here in St. Louis I've seen it happen time and time again. People get asked onto a project and devote WEEKS to something for a given compensation... THEN the guy who swindled everybody dissappears right at the end. Of course with everybody's footage and hard work. There was a vampire movie shot at Laclede's Landing... months and suddenly POOF! Gone. There was a feature shot in Defiance, MO... not too far away... MONTHS of "when this is done you'll get...." POOF! Gone.

Fortunately in my own experience this has been rare... but it has happened to me once...

To me this sounds like one of those deals. Of course I could be wrong and maybe I'm trivializing the issue... but again, 70 MILLION?... Hmm.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2004, 09:11 PM   #24
New Boot

It was a big time two day festival starring Radiohead. I know he doesn't want it for anything elese than the lawsuit, but he's palying hardball and soon so will my lawyers.
Rich Rosen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business