will it be illegal to put artist music in my film? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old May 30th, 2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

will it be illegal to put artist music in my film?

hi

i would like some1 to tell me please if or if not it will be illegal to put artist music into my film, music such as from soundtracks, i just want to know if i need a licence to do it and if so where would i get 1, many thanks.
Gavin Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:54 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Yes, that is "illegal". You need to license such music which I doubt
"normal" people can afford. Depends on who the artist is and how
old the song is I think.

I cannot help you futher on where to get your music. There are
lots of places with amateur/indie music makers as well that might
be interesting in allowing you to use their music in return for
credits etc.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 09:57 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thank you for clearing that up i just thought i could use it and in return just give credit, but i was wrong and thank you very much, you proberly saved me some greef, cheers,!
Old May 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM   #4

You can find a tutorial on copyrights at http://www.sundancemediagroup.com/he..._tutorials.asp
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #5
Trustee

You can be sued for it, and it's a crime if you do it for commercial purposes. You need to find royalty free music, or make your own.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

im just going to buy the rights/fee's to do it, thats not a problem
Old May 30th, 2004, 03:53 PM   #7
Major Player

If you plan on securing the rights to a song, make sure you have someone with experience helping you out with that. Either a knowledgable producer, or better yet an attorney.

I worked on a film recently that required the rights to a popular song. The producer found that in order to use the version he wanted, he had to secure rights from 3 different people. One held the rights to the music, one held the rights to the lyrics, and one held the rights to the specific recording. So make sure you have all your bases covered.

-Luis
Luis Caffesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2004, 06:42 PM   #8
Regular Crew

thanks for the pointers.
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:39 PM   #9
Inner Circle

<<<-- Originally posted by Luis Caffesse : If you plan on securing the rights to a song, make sure you have someone with experience helping you out with that. Either a knowledgable producer, or better yet an attorney.

I worked on a film recently that required the rights to a popular song. The producer found that in order to use the version he wanted, he had to secure rights from 3 different people. One held the rights to the music, one held the rights to the lyrics, and one held the rights to the specific recording. So make sure you have all your bases covered.

-Luis -->>>

I once tried to request music rights for a non-profit education video and I found how difficult it was and gave up. What angered me most is the RIAA spend millions on punitive action but, they do nothing to facilitate the legal purchase of music for those of us who want to do the right thing. They should provide a database thay allows you to be able to find and contact the copyright holders. The copyright office has a web site but it is confusing to use and once you find the holder they are impossible to reach. Most are owned by giant record companies who don't want to know you if your not part of the movie industry and provide little to no way to contact them.
Pete Cofrancesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2004, 03:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

oh i didnt relise it was that hard,
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:36 AM   #11
Air China Pilot

Do yourself a favour and contact local artists. They would be easier to approach and you would be helping out your local scene.
Old June 4th, 2004, 09:41 AM   #12
Regular Crew

ok i will thanks
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #13
Trustee

"What angered me most is the RIAA spend millions on punitive action but, they do nothing to facilitate the legal purchase of music for those of us who want to do the right thing. They should provide a database thay allows you to be able to find and contact the copyright holders"

The RIAA has no incentive to do this. The cost of enforcing legitimate licenses and administering this system will far exceed whatever profits they will make from it. They're only interested in high volume licensing. They couldn't care less from the average videographer.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2004, 09:11 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I agree completely that it is frustrating to go through the proper legal channels to license music. Without an attorney with experience, it seems near impossible.

As someone mentioned above, I have had lots of luck with local artists. Bands that are looking for exposure are often willing to release use of their song for free with credit in the final production.

The challenge is finding a band with good music AND a good recording of it.

Best of luck.
Josh Allen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business