PD 150 or VX2000 on ebay - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 23rd, 2002, 02:10 AM   #16
Regular Crew

XL1S - Ebay - Beating A Dead Horse

Hey guys,

First post. New to the board. Not to beat a dead horse here but...

I'm going to buy XL1S very soon. I have checked around with local LA Canon-authorized dealers and the price I've been seeing is basically $3700 (plus tax).

I'm very wary of online purchasing in general but I've talked with some people and this is what I'm looking for (and out for) on eBay, so if you can, tell me what's right, wrong and missing from this picture:

I see a few auctions that actually say, "Brand new. Not refurbished. Not Grey Market. Full US Warranty included. [And list all the items that come in the Canon kit.]" The prices hover in the $2900-3400 range. In short, the price is good but not unreal, there are multiple sellers able to sell in this range so it appears legit and they say upfront all the right things re: warranty, sealed, etc.

If they say new, sealed in box, is it really necessary to check out equipment in person? (I'd like to save on the tax, and would they even allow you to open a sealed box anyhow?)

Granted, I'd also look for a lot of positive feedback, check the serial number, make sure he's in the US and use either paypal, cc or this escrow thing I've been reading about here.

I apologize for being long-winded but I'm trying to say everything I know and anticipate questions from the get go. eBay can't be the devil. You just need to be sharp...right?

Thanks,

Joshua
Joshua Kopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 05:45 AM   #17
Warden

Ebay is buyer beware. It is so easy to get taken advantage of. This just happened a week or two ago to an acquaintance of mine. He bought an XL1s kit with a Canon 3X wide angle also. Everything arrives and he opens the box and the camera is perfect, just as described. But no 3X lens. PANIC. Call seller and seller says what kind of scam are you trying to pull. I put the lens in the box myself. End of discussion.

Now he's out the $900 for the lens. Spends another $900 to get the lens and now has to try to work it out or sue the guy. what's that gonna cost?

Do yourself a favor. Call either of these Dealers and get an XL1 from someone reputable. You'll still save sales tax.

http://www.zgc.com/

http://www.zotzdigital.com/

http://www.pro-tape.com/

Call them. Get your best price. Buy it from dealer you like best (maybe best deal, best service, whatever). Wait for it to arrive. Peace of Mind. Go shoot, have fun.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 07:47 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

With one of our sponsors, you're establishing a relationship. They're there for you if something goes wrong.

On Ebay, they never want to hear from you again, unless you want to buy something else.

That's a *huge* difference. I've never thought twice about paying the extra $2 to go beyond Ebay to dealers like our sponsors. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 08:30 PM   #19
Wrangler

I posted a list of various ways to identify fraudulent sellers on Ebay a while back. Can't remember where I posted it though. If you do a search you should find it. One of them is people who'se shipping address is different than the one in their seller profile. Another is any use of Western Union money transfers.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business