PD 150 or VX2000 on ebay at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 17th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #1
jackieandrea

PD 150 or VX2000 on ebay

I'm going to apologize first for this question, because I know a boatload of people have probably asked this question over and over.

Here goes. I'm looking to get a 3 ccd camera and it's down to the PD 150 and VX2000. I know that the PD 150 is the obvious choice, but there is the financial issue. I shoot dance music events and the occasional documentary. Although there are numerous similarities between the 2 cameras (as well as numerous differences), would the VX2000 be just as good a camera. I have a beachtek (that I used with my previous camera, and I know it fits) so that's covered.

As well, I've been looking at ebay (something I vowed I'd never do, but they do seem to have good deals). I know it depends on the seller, but is it a safe bet to buy cameras from ebay?

Cheers, and thanks for reading this deluge of questions.

Jackie
Old July 17th, 2002, 04:53 PM   #2
Major Player

save $ and get the 2000 unless u need DVCAM and the built in xlr's.personally i myself would be kind of weary buying cams on ebay but would do it if it seemed like a truthful auction(maybe a screen shot of the head/drum hrs). some retailers are selling grey market cams on ebay so i would careful bidding on those. u can get a vx2000 new from B&H for $2400 which is a grand less then their price on the 150
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 06:35 PM   #3
Warden

The rule on ebay is buyer beware. Ask the seller if the camera has any warranty on it. Most have at least a dead on arrival policy. Ask what there return policy is. If you find a problem with the camera will they cover all or part of the repair. As I said buyer beware. Good deals aren't always such a good deal in hind sight. Good luck.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2002, 08:25 PM   #4
Wrangler

There are a few more advantages to the PD-150 than you have quoted.

The microphone setup over and above the XLRs, the lack of power down after 5 minutes, the ability to provide phantom power which most XLR adapters don't provide, and, of course, the nifty color.

For ease of use, the PD-150 is the hands-down winner.

But it does not take a better picture than the VX-2000.

I've purchased a camera on ebay. When I won the bid, I arranged with the seller to meet him and check out the camera. That mean't I had to fly from San Francisco to Los Angeles and drive to Santa Barbara. But I got a good camera at a very good price.

My rule on purchasing on ebay is if I cannot personnaly examine the equipment and I don't know the seller, I don't risk any more money than would cause me a sleepless night.

So far I have never been burned.
Old July 17th, 2002, 11:23 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

As you can see, Mike does Ebay the right way.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 10:49 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I agree with Mike. If you can't examine the merchandise don't buy it.

I been dealing with ebay for quite some time now. And it's been working out for me so far. I've gotten a few things on ebay that I'm happy with. My biggest purchase was a brand new, sealed VX2000 which I got for $2k. However, I bought the VX2000 locally from somenone who was selling it on ebay. I emailed the seller and offered him if everything check out. So I drove from San Francisco to Hayward(25mins). Everything was brand new sealed box.

I purchased the VX2000 due to the LP recording. I figured I could always put the XLR when ever I want to look like a news camera men.

My rule of thumb on ebay:

1. Never purchase anything over $10 from a seller that has 0 feedback.

2. Never purchase anything from a seller that has 3 negative feedback.

3. Bid only the maximun amount you would want to spend on that item. Note; Always check the completed items for the going price.

4. If you don't win that auction that you just bid on. Don't worry. There's always another one. Sometimes it turns out a lot better.

5. When spending x's amount of dollars(money that would cause you sleepless night) puchase from someone locally. This way you can examine the merchandise.
Ray Saavedra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 04:08 PM   #7
jackieandrea

All this information!!!!!!

Thanks a lot guys, the info has been most helpful.

I actually have won an auction for a VX2000 for a good price ($2000 US), but it's from a person who had zero rating. I'm in negotiation right now with that person, and part of the payment options is to send my transaction by credit card (through Western Union) and do that question and answer thing (where, when I receive the item, I give them the answer to the question and they get the money, which is being held at Western Union).

If they have a problem with me checking out the camera, then it's forgetaboutit time (I may get in trouble with ebay, but they wouldn't be the ones out of $2000).

What kinds of tests would you recommend that I do on the camera to determine if it's any good? Treat me like a novice and tell me everything, because again this is the first time I've bought something like this sight unseen (except if you count items from the Home Shopping network -cubic Zaconia anyone?), and it would be a nice thing to know anyway if I intend to buy any other cameras. It would also signal to the salesperson that I'm not just a gullible consumer.

Thanks in advance, everyone

ps-sorry about the very long message. I don't drink coffee, and I just had a big mug of it (don't ask why, the story is too long)
Old July 18th, 2002, 05:20 PM   #8
Wrangler

Look at the appearance. Operate every control, every menu item. Every control should move smoothly. Take pictures, take video, transfer via every port. Look very closely for wear, dirt, oil, etc. Holding the camera firmly, rotate it to all angles and listen for anything moving or falling inside (like a small screw or something.

Does it have all the original accessories including a memory stick, lens cap, lens shade, power supply/charger with cord, neck strap. Original packing? That's worth a lot, the original packing. Sony does not like to recieve camcorders in their repair shop without the original packaging.

I assume that VX-2000's have a hours meter like the PD-150 has. I'd look at that very closely.

Ask when the person purchased it. Did they purchase it new and from whom. Is it a US or gray market camera. Call Sony and give them the serial number to double check on country status and approximate age of the camera. Their repair service will tell you this.

Since a brand new 2000 is about $2600, are you certain that the unknown camera with no warranty is a good buy?
Old July 18th, 2002, 05:29 PM   #9
Warden

Be very carefull of items sold by sellers with no ratings. There are a number of fraudulant auctions for XL1, VX2000, etc. If you have any doubts use the escrow service. If the seller hesitates about using escrow, he/she is probably a fraud.

Jeff
Old July 18th, 2002, 06:31 PM   #10
jackieandrea

There is a full USA warranty on it. He claims it is sealed in boxand will be shipped with receipts so that I can apply for the warranty the same day if I wanted to. I'm going to ask him for the serial number for I'll check with Sony.
Old July 19th, 2002, 08:03 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Definitely do escrow.

I know of a number of people who have been scammed on ebay, present company included.

If the seller is using ebay as an addition to their storefront business, you're probably a lot better off but just be careful.

Nothing feels worse than a $2000 box of rocks.
Joshua Wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 01:18 PM   #12
jackieandrea

I'm going to tell you how this little episode ended.

I email the person asking a few question (that maybe I should have asked before I bidded). ie-Why did his page say they were based in the US, but the mailing address was in Alberta, Canada?
Why were they selling the camera? And would I be able to check it (not just receive it), before I authorized access to the money through Western Union?

They emailed me back simply stating that it was a freshly sealed box with a US warranty. That was it. I answered back that if they could at least let me have the serial # so that I could contact Sony.

I haven't heard from them since.

I'm thanking everyone for the advice they gave me. I'm considering the storefront stores on ebay (47th is one that jumps to mind), but since I'm based in Canada, the camera I buy would need a Canadian warranty, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy one new (there goes another credit card to it's limit).

Oh well, better safe than screwed.
Old July 20th, 2002, 04:01 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Just think...

how much more expensive it would have been if you had to pay twice. :-)

Good luck.
Joshua Wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 06:44 PM   #14
Warden

Yeah, that one really smelled like a scam. Always, better safe than sorry.
Old July 20th, 2002, 07:21 PM   #15
Air China Pilot

<<<-- Originally posted by jackieandrea : I'm thanking everyone for the advice they gave me. I'm considering the storefront stores on ebay (47th is one that jumps to mind), but since I'm based in Canada, the camera I buy would need a Canadian warranty, so I may have to bite the bullet and buy one new (there goes another credit card to it's limit).
Oh well, better safe than screwed. -->>>

I thought through various schemes to save money on my Xl1s. You can read some of them in that "Where to buy Xl1s" thread. In the end, I bought from a local distributor. So I ended up saving two more months to pay the local price. At least I have piece of mind.
Keith Loh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business