Crew fees? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 14th, 2004, 04:58 AM   #1
Major Player

Crew fees?

Can someone fill in some approximate middle range fees for (some of) the following crew members working on an independent feature, in US $:

1st AD
2nd AD
Production Manager
Production Coordinator
Production Assistant
Runner
Location Manager
Production Accountant

Thanks a lot!!
Old July 1st, 2004, 02:01 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Ok, I know how useless posts like mine can be considering that I am not going to actually quote you rates... but here goes.

Since your cost-estimating an indie feature the best bet is to find people who perform said tasks and ask for a ballpark bid based on your estimate of how many days you intend to actually be in production.

With that said, part of the indie financing strategy usually means convincing folks to work for free -- however I would suggest paying folks who have the skills (even if its very little, like min-wage or negotiated flat fee/salary). When you start talking turkey you can start demanding a higher level of professional skill/ability, and accountability.

The darkside of paying folks in a low budget feature is that allot of hucksters may give you low-ball bids and have absolutely no qualification for the job, eventually taking your money and costing you even more when you have to fix the problem. Check reels and get recommendations.

Finally, I will pass on some ballpark rates I remember off the top of my head.

PA - min wage
2nd AD - min wage
Production Accountant - % of overall amount of money being monitored or a fee for their services

And that's the best I can do -- makes some calls and get some bids/recommendations!

Good Luck, and take it one step at a time.
Dean Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:25 AM   #3
Inner Circle

here are some figures I use when preparing a mock-up budget. Your mileage may vary. Rates are weekly and subject to negotiations. Figures in US Dollars

Unit Production Manager - 1,500
First AD - 1,200
Second AD - 750
PA- 300
Production Coordinator - 1,000

Total budget of Legal and accounting is 7,500

Don't have a listing for "runner" and I am not sure what you mean by that.

These figures are ballpark as we work up budgets for a 35mm shoot. These are numbers that are reasonable for our market in Houston Texas, for professionaly credentialed crew. Houst on is a "right to work" market, but a lot of crew are union.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2004, 06:48 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Richard- The runner would be the person who gets the cappucino, tapes, and is also known as a Gofer- They go fer this, and go fer that...
Old July 1st, 2004, 01:45 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys! Richard, one more question: the week is 5 or 6 days? 10 hour days?

Thanks so much!

Dan.
Old July 1st, 2004, 03:49 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The figures quoted are for ten hour days, six day weeks. But really, these are starting points for a non-union mid sized budget. Things are always negotiated. (NO one ever gets what they deserve, only what they negotiate.)

For instance, my partner is a DP currently working on a low budget horror 35mm film here in Houston. He sold his rate and his camera packages as an all in one deal. The 1st camera negotiated overtime, the gaffer negotiated a ten hour turn around, (Which, by default affects the entire crew.) So in order to get what they wanted, the producers had to come to the table.

As to a "runner" I usually have PA's do the leg work, and interns do the coffee making. Drivers do the driving and delivery of people and film... so I guess there's some overlap on job titles there.

Good luck.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business