is it legal to produce content on educational license vegas then sell it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:47 AM   #1
Trustee

is it legal to produce content on educational license vegas then sell it?

well is it? i'm a student and i can buy either academic version or regular commercial edition. which should i buy if i plan to produce content that i want to take around festivals, sell to make money, etc?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:50 AM   #2
RED Problem Solver

If you're making money with it, then you should buy the commercial version. Professionals don't have the cheap option of buying an educational version - they're for people who are just learning, and for them to do payed work with it, often undercutting on price, is very unfair, and could even get you a bad reputation before you set out on a career.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Wrangler

I agree with Graeme in principle, but the real answer to your question can only be found by reading all that fine print in the software license...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:14 PM   #4
Trustee

just wondering. thx.
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:04 AM   #5
Trustee

According to Sony's site, to qualify for an academic license for their software, you have to be one of the following:

- College Students: Matriculating college, university, and career school students qualify for academic pricing.
- High School Students: Currently enrolled high school students qualify for academic pricing.
- Faculty/Staff: K-12 and all post-secondary faculty and staff members qualify for academic pricing.
- Non-Profit Organizations: Available to organization (not individuals).

From what I could see, there was no limitation on what you could do with the software. I don't see any ethical or other considerations that should hinder you from pursuing anything you want with the software if you legitimately purchased it under Sony's limitations; i.e.; you fit one of the categories above. They set the rules, and if you obey their rules, you are A-OK.

Academic licenses aren't just for learning. It's a benefit provided to you by a company under the assumption that most students, faculty/staff, and non profit organizations do not have the monetary resources that a corporation may have. In addition, users they capture now, will continue to use their software for years to come. You shouldn't feel bad for taking advantage of their generous offer. It is a well thought out expense for them.

Once you are no longer a student, it would be nice for you to reward that company with your product loyalty, but that also is not required. But chances are you will, because that's the software you know, and that's what they're banking on.
Imran Zaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:30 AM   #6
Trustee

IMRAN. i'm in college right now. i have 3 more years to go. i'll def take advantage of the software academic price. thx for advice.
Old June 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM   #7
Trustee

You'd have to check the license. In general, in the absence of a license prohibitng you from commercializing your work, you are free to do with your original work what you want regardless of what software you used to create it, including educational versions.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #8
Trustee

peter, i think if you are using illegal software to create your content, that just doesn't feel right, know what i'm saying? thus i have to pay dues somehow to make it legit somewhat.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business