DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Taking Care of Business (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/)
-   -   What's in it for reality TV producer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/taking-care-business/28762-whats-reality-tv-producer.html)

Rich Rosen July 11th, 2004 03:26 PM

What's in it for reality TV producer

Anybody know how badly a network would fleece a first time reality show director/producer if he has a show they want? Thanks.

Richard Alvarez July 11th, 2004 06:59 PM

"Fleece" - Hmmm, interesting term. YOu also use the terms "First time reality show director/producer" - also a curious designation.

Does this mean you have already directed and produced a reality show with 13 segments, and are wanting to sell it? If so, see the American Film Market for more information.

Or do you have an idea, that is unproduced, that you would like to produce and direct, and are afraid to talk to a network for fear that they will steal it?

Rich Rosen July 11th, 2004 07:49 PM

I have shot about ten hours of footage and it has all the ingrediants. I will shoot through the summer to bring out the personalities. The family and situation are dead on for this genre. I'll pitch it with a ten minute segment, but don't know what a deal structure would look like. They will want it. How do I know? Again, it has all the elements and then some.

Richard Alvarez July 11th, 2004 08:54 PM

Rich,

My experience is in pitching a series through a proco. They liked the concept, but wanted to handle the production themselves. Usually, they will bring in an experienced "runner" to handle the show. Depending on your specific credentials, they may simply offer to buy the concept outright, and start from scratch, or...

You get the picture. Without more info on your project or resume it's impossible to give you a clear cut idea on how it will go down. In fact, there is no clear cut way for a deal like this to go down. If you are concerned about getting "fleeced" get an attorney to go with you to the pitch meeting.

Good luck.

Rich Rosen July 11th, 2004 10:02 PM

I have network credits, but from many years ago. I don't know if they would be acceptable which is why I need to assemble enough of a demo so they have a level of comfort as to my skills and are of course excited about the concept.

Question is, before let's say American Chopper took off, what deal do you think the production company got? It's a similar (but very different) type of thing.

Richard Alvarez July 12th, 2004 06:57 AM

Rich,

Where are you located? If you are in LA, then you will want an attorney with you when you meet with the proco. You sound like a legit producer/director, I think the chance of you getting "fleeced" is fairly small. Having said that, no one ever gets what they deserve, only what they negotiate. So, just as you want an experienced gaffer, or sound man on your set, you want an experienced entertainment producer/agent sitting with you.

I think you are going to be faced with two choices. A) They love the concept, but want to take over... in which case, how much do you want to release it to them? B)They love the concept, and they love you so you are in like Flynn. You should be willing to do a deal in both instances. I assume you want to produce and direct, so the price for selling it outright should be ALMOST prohibitive to them... in order to intice them to go with you.

As in most negotiations, the person who names a figure first is generally dealing from the weaker position, so avoid it if you can.

Good luck

Rich Rosen July 12th, 2004 08:48 AM

Try to pitch it directly to the network or go to a production company that's doing business with the networks? Is the latter necessary? Thanks. I'm in New York.

Richard Alvarez July 12th, 2004 09:53 AM

Here's where "Who you know" comes in. Can you get a meeting with the development personell at a network? Would it be easier to talk with a proco that already has a deal with the networks. A little research here will go a long way. The Hollywood Creative Directory will list procos and assorted personell for the Networks. How are your cold call skills?

Rich Rosen July 12th, 2004 09:55 AM

Cold call skills are very seasoned. I alsways felt that going to a proco is giving away too much too early. It's just that I've been out of the game for 15 years.