Commercial For a Radio Station question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old July 14th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Commercial For a Radio Station question

I am currently working on a deal to produce a TV commercial for a local radio station. They would like to of course throw in short snippits of the songs they play as the backdrop for the commercial. If any of you out there had a chance to be in a similiar situation, could you tell me how you went about getting the right to use that music in a commercial?
FYI, I am aware of the whole synch rights deal, but this is a music playing radio station and I thought that there might be a different and a simpler way of getting the necessary rights.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 09:06 AM   #2
Major Player

I would ask the station to deal with the rights.
You as videographer are not responsible for the rights, in the end it's the person or entity that publishes the copyrighted material.
They probably have a department dealing with this anyway.
Make sure you've got it in writing though.
Old July 14th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan. Actually I did ask the programming director and she said that it would be the producer ( me ) who would have to get all the rights cleared. I hope that as you mentioned, their legal department might have a happier news for me but I need to be ready just in case I have to get everything myself.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2004, 02:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I guess getting all the rights cleared would involve a price tag added on to your invoice, which may change their way of seeing things.
It's a lot of red tape to go through.
Old July 14th, 2004, 03:19 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yep, they will definitely be getting billed for it, PROVIDING, I can get all that stuff. I tell you one thing, it will sure be a learning process I will never forget.
Rafal Krolik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business