WARNING: Potential Fraud On This Forum!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 4th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #16
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

There's an interesting article on this subject on the current Wall Street Journal Online site. This general type of money laundering has apparently become quite popular and has largely foiled law enforcement so far.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:17 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks for the heads up. A buddy of mine told me that someone once offered to buy his boat the same way. He almost fell to the scamm because they offered him twice his asking price for the boat.

Good thing his wife asked her friends hubby who incidentally is a federal agent. Turns out this type of scam is huge, and the gov is trying to crack down on these bums.
Rick Casuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:27 PM   #18
Trustee

Sounds like terrorist money laundering. Stupid to tell you to rip up the check. Real stupid.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:34 PM   #19
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Peter Moore : Sounds like terrorist money laundering. Stupid to tell you to rip up the check. Real stupid. -->>>

Realisticaly, what is a local copshop going to do? They barely have the resources they need to do their local jobs as it is, and what a political nightmare to tack down a minor fraud artist across the world.

Them telling him to rip it up is no surprise to me.
Old August 24th, 2004, 10:22 AM   #20
Trustee

I would have at least referred it to the FBI to see if they wanted to investigate further.

It probably is unlikely these were international terrorists, however a lot of networks do use small scams on the Internet to make money.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business