Unsolicited advice for filmmakers looking for financing - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:48 PM   #16
MPS Digital Studios

John J,

I have an S-Corp, MPS Digital Entertainment, Inc., can I use this to produce my film, or should I form an LLC to produce it seperate from MPS Digital? I would want MPS Digital to hold the copyright.

Thanks,

heath
Old September 6th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #17
Major Player

Check out "The Producers Business Handbook" by John J. Lee.
It's about big time filmmaking in LA, but he operates on the basis of some very interesting principles, that apply to the entire business, big or small.
Well written too.
Old September 7th, 2004, 09:41 PM   #18
Great DV dot com

Heath,

Think through how you would sell off chunks of ownership in the movie. If you sell off chunks of your s-corp, it's forever and generally constitutes participation (without additional investment) in any future projects' profit.

This is why in most cases, projects are kept discrete (an LLC for each project) unless your biz plan and funding is for a multiple-picture company. That's also a feasible concept, but usually raises much more cash (2-3 films worth) with the design that the company will become self-perpetuating and investors will take ongoing profits from all subsequent projects.

In most states, you can set up a manager-managed LLC where you are the manager and your S-corp owns the majority of the stock. You then sell off pieces of the single-project LLC but you retain full ownership of the S-corp.

Lotsa paperwork, have cash on hand for the lawyer! But this is the approach that is being used most commonly now. The names for the LLCs get pretty amusing. David Gordon Green ("George Washington") named his company "You and What Army, LLC"
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

I really DON'T want investors in my company. Guess I'll start an LLC for my next film.

Thanks for the tip!

heath
Old January 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM   #20
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Did the Coen brothers set up any sort of business entity to raise funds from private investors for their first film "Blood Simple"? From the "shoot from the hip" way they got into the filmmaking business, I'm guessing they didn't.
Old January 1st, 2005, 06:34 PM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

According to Barry Sonnenfeld, they shot a trailer and raised the funds that way. I don't think I'd do that (maybe a short film with the characters), but hey, if it works, it works.

heath
Old January 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Re: Unsolicited advice for filmmakers looking for financing

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : DON'T ask for donations, don't even ask for "gifts," because I'm almost 100% positive none of you are making your movies as a "non-profit" ventures. -->>>

Actually, I am. I'm releasing my productions under a Creative Commons licence. How does this affect my begging?
Rob Yannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

I'm not clear on what that is, but if you have to ask, direct it to a business lawyer.

heath
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #24
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : I'm not clear on what that is, but if you have to ask, direct it to a business lawyer.

heath -->>>

http://www.creativecommons.org
Rob Yannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #25
MPS Digital Studios

Probably don't need to worry, since it's non-profit. Ask a lawyer for advice, regardless.

hwm
Old January 23rd, 2005, 10:40 PM   #26
Regular Crew

How much of this thread applies to a Canadian film maker?

I have a single investor, willing to invest $40,000.00 CDN for my first project.

All the books and articles I've read so far pertained to US film makers...not much info for the canadian first time producer.
Brad Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #27
MPS Digital Studios

As I've advised to American filmmakers, I will say the same to Canadian, of which I'm unfamiliar with business, investment and tax laws: talk to a Canadian lawyer who knows this stuff.

heath
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #28
Regular Crew

So just to clarify...I might sound like an idiot here, but what's the difference between a sole propietorship, a corporation, or an LLC? I know I have the info in one of my books, I just can't remember which one.

I mean what's the difference in terms of registering a project specific LLC for a film.
Brad Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:12 PM   #29
MPS Digital Studios

In America, it's more expensive, so I went with an S Corporation vs. LLC.

heath
Old January 24th, 2005, 10:54 PM   #30
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Brad,
I strongly advise you to consult a Canadian attorney before establishing a business entity. Don't take legal advice from strangers on some darn Internet chat board (even this one). Most of us are as dumb as you about this subject. This is a decision that's larger than your small film project and can have significant implications on your legal liabilities as well as your prospective tax liabilities. Many young people just register LLC businesses because it's cheap and easy to do on the Web...this is a huge mistake.

Professional advice: Just get it.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business