Wedding business questions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old October 8th, 2004, 02:42 PM   #1
New Boot

Wedding business questions

Hello,

Sorry if this post seems kinda out of topic. But I would really appreciate your comments about it.

I would like to start a wedding videography business. I'm an engineer as well as a camera operator so technical issues are not a problem. But I have some questions about how to start a business and especially about how to start a videography business.

1.) I have made a website where I show which services I offer. This is one of the ways to get clients, but not the best I guess. How do you advertise ? Leaflets, Brochures in target restaurants, Local magazines..I know that word of mouth is essencial, but which one of the previous methods work best ?

2.) I do not have a local or place in order to attend my clients. I work on location and I edit the videos at home. So when a client is interested in your services and wants to concrete details and speak with you or simply watch reel demos, where do you go? In your home, in the couple's home ??

3.) What about working with wedding photographers? Is it a good idea to do wedding videos with a wedding photographer so that he/she just has the clients ? Do you give him/her a part of the benefits ?

4.) I have heard that there are restaurants or churches that have its own photographer and videographer and they have the "exclusive rights" of the event. What's best to do in this situation ? What if the couple do no want the church video services ?

5.) Do you make a contract when a client is interested in you services? If they want to book a date, do you make them pay you in advance ( a reservation fee) ? Do you make an invoice ?

6.) Finally, what about legal issues ? Do you have to be registered somewhere ?

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.
Sorry for my poor English. I'm from Spain.

Robert.
Robert Mitteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2004, 03:08 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Wedding business questions

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert Mitteg : Hello,

Sorry if this post seems kinda out of topic. But I would really appreciate your comments about it.

I would like to start a wedding videography business. I'm an engineer as well as a camera operator so technical issues are not a problem. But I have some questions about how to start a business and especially about how to start a videography business.

1.) I have made a website where I show which services I offer. This is one of the ways to get clients, but not the best I guess. How do you advertise ? Leaflets, Brochures in target restaurants, Local magazines..I know that word of mouth is essencial, but which one of the previous methods work best ?

Telephone book, Bridal shows. Word of mouth is best. I also belong to Rotary and the Chamber of Commerce and a business networking organization.

2.) I do not have a local or place in order to attend my clients. I work on location and I edit the videos at home. So when a client is interested in your services and wants to concrete details and speak with you or simply watch reel demos, where do you go? In your home, in the couple's home ??

I go to their home or they come to mine.

3.) What about working with wedding photographers? Is it a good idea to do wedding videos with a wedding photographer so that he/she just has the clients ? Do you give him/her a part of the benefits ?

I do not partner with a still photographer. There are people who do cooperative events with a photographer, Disk Jockey, Wedding Planner, Tux Rental, Dress Sales, & Limousine services.

4.) I have heard that there are restaurants or churches that have its own photographer and videographer and they have the "exclusive rights" of the event. What's best to do in this situation ? What if the couple do no want the church video services ?

Let them resolve the issue as you have no position to influence the outcome

5.) Do you make a contract when a client is interested in you services? If they want to book a date, do you make them pay you in advance ( a reservation fee) ? Do you make an invoice ?

Yes, a contract is advisable. I ask 1/3 or 1/2 of the total amount in advance. The rest is paid when I deliver the final video. Invoices are always a good idea.

6.) Finally, what about legal issues ? Do you have to be registered somewhere ?

Not in the US

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions.
Sorry for my poor English. I'm from Spain.

I wish my Spanish was as good as your English, Robert.

Robert. -->>>
Old October 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Mike for your answers. They are very helpful.

Robert.
Robert Mitteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

contract

I would not wait until delivery of the final video for final payment. What if they never bother to pick it up or get divorced in the meantime - you've done all that editing for nothing. I've seen this happen although it has not happened to me personally.

I know several wedding videographers who ask for 1/3 to 1/2 non-refundable payment when the date is booked. Balance due in full 2 weeks/10 days before the wedding. You need time to make sure the check is good etc. This is pretty standard here and most brides expect it.

Of course if the videographer fails to complete any part of the agreement the videographer would have to refund accordingly.

Do a search on wedding video contracts and carefully make one that suits you, but be careful and detailed - it will save you lots of headaches later. You'll see there's lots of fine print.

I think it's good practice to also give a brief explanation up front so they are not surprised if they don't take the time to read the "fine print".

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business