customer right info needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old November 5th, 2004, 09:28 PM   #1
Major Player

customer right info needed

hi,
this is the scenario. bought something from the net, item was not working from day one it arrived. contact the manufacturer, some how got them to reply and subsequently got them to replace one of the part. guess what, the part is not working either. so i contacted them again. good news is, this time round they asked me to send the whole set back to be replace but the shipping cost would be on me. my question is, why do i have to pay for the extra costing while i'm the one being stuck with a not working item from the very begining?
i'm from malaysia and i'm not familiar with US law. can anyone advise me on my next cause of action. appreciate all the help.
thank you.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:23 PM   #2
Warden

Have you asked them why you have to pay the shipping?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:39 PM   #3
Regular Crew

This is very common in the USA, such as "you can return it for a full refund minus shipping." Very few places will swallow the shipping costs. I think it's wrong, but there's no law stating otherwise. You can try talking to them: "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."
Best of luck.
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #4
Warden

I would agree with Scott, that it is fairly common practice to require the purchaser to pay the return shipping, but it does vary by merchant.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2004, 11:42 PM   #5
Major Player

i have ask them why i have to pay and their answer was, its just so. getting them to response is like forever. i don't mind paying for the shipping if it is only a small sum but the shipping is about US$350.00 if i'm not mistaken. after coverting to my currency is about 1,500.00, almost to my one month pay.
i'll try contacting again. hoping for better response this time.
thanks guys.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 12:35 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Those folks are out of their minds! I have sent items overseas to Singapore and New Zealand. The boxes were about 6 pounds each and the shipping was US$38.00 each. They were sent via US Mail and took about three to four weeks to arrive because of customs. Look up US international mail prices at usps.com and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Another option is if you know someone in the US, you can have them send it to your friend and then have your friend forward it to you.

Good luck.
Scott Ellifritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:29 PM   #7
Major Player

hi scott,
usps is a good alternative but its a big item. i think it weight about 19lbs if i'm not mistaken.
anyway, thanks for the help.

ed
Ed Liew is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business