what do you pay actors/models at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business

Taking Care of Business
The pen and paper aspects of DV -- put it in writing!

Old August 31st, 2002, 10:21 AM   #1
Wrangler

what do you pay actors/models

This goes hand in hand with my other post.
As I said, I'm going to be shooting two projects in one. The first is going to be a swimsuit calendar with my still camera, the second is going to be a video of "The Making of" said suimsuit calendar.

I have several girls lined up to pose for it, but I am not sure what to pay. The shoot itself will only take about 30mins to one hour. What do you think would be a fair price to pay them? These are not real models, just cute girls I know.

Thanks for the input!
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 10:37 AM   #2
Major Player

A few hardcopy pictures at least 8 x 10, for their future book. It all depends on the budget as well.
Old August 31st, 2002, 01:03 PM   #3
Wrangler

That would work except they aren't models and aren't looking to become models in the future. Otherwise I would. :)
My budget is limited in that this is a project I didn't expect to be taking on. It's just an extra thing to try and squeeze into my life to eek out some more coin to finance my video production.
And taking pictures of girls in bikinis isn't the worst way one can spend an afternoon. ;)
Old August 31st, 2002, 01:17 PM   #4
RED Code Chef

This also doesn't apply, but on my movie project i do not pay
my actors. I cannot afford them. Why i do is feed them (good) and
whenever possible arrange for their transportation. This ofcourse
is on something a lot longer then 30 - 60 minutes... Are you sure
you can shoot these women both on photo and film within that
timeframe?

I think you should look at what you can afford, and see what you
are willing to pay out of that. Do discuss it before hand though.
No surprises.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 01:35 PM   #5

Since they're "real models," just ask them what they think their time is worth. If you can afford it, great! If not, punt.

Also, thirty minutes to get 12 usuable shots shounds like you're cutting it pretty tight.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 01:59 PM   #6
Trustee

I'm a still photographer working in a semi-rural part of california, and I make my living shooting mostly non-professional models for a variety of clients. Back when I started, typically the models were almost never paid...and for the most part this wasn't a problem, as most people are flattered to be asked, and do it for the "fun" and experience of doing it. As long as you are up front about it, letting them know your profit margin will probably not allow you to pay them, I don't think this is a problem (see note at bottom).

As long as you are sure you will actually produce the calendar you may offer them a deal that a friend of mine (a San Diego Charger Girl) told me about. The Chargers produce a Calendar of their cheerleaders each year, and the girls don't recieve any money for it....but...they are allowed to purchase calendars for $3 which they then resell at a substantial profit at events (or impromptu nights at bars, clubs etc.) She said she can make $1200 a night taking them around to the local sports bars and autographing them. Not bad. And it gives you an effective, motivated sales force as well...the most difficult part of selling a calendar.

Today, we typically pay our non-pro models about $50 per hour when they are working for a client (actually the client pays), I've come to believe that it's the right thing to do, as the client is essentially making money off of their image and they should be compensated. Usually we do some sort of trade for prints when it's an in-house project.

Barry

NOTE: In some states it is a requirement that model release agreements be accompanied by some form of consideration (payment) to be valid, like any other kind of contract. This can be as little as $1 or an 8x10, but there must be some sort of payment, or the contract (and your protection) is unenforceable. You may want to check the rules in your state, or keep a few ones in your pocket for the signing ceremony.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 02:26 PM   #7
Wrangler

Just to clarify for everyone.
I will be using 12 different women at an hour each for the calendar. One picutre per model. I'm not trying to shoot all 12 in one hour. It will be one girl one hour, another the next, spaced over a few days and depending on location. And I will only need about 3 minutes of video per girl as well. 3 mins x 12 girls + filler action video of said sports, and titles = done.

I may use a couple of the girls twice in the calendar if the shots are particularily good.

Barry, I had $50 in mind as well. Just wanted to see someone throw the number around first.
Old August 31st, 2002, 02:38 PM   #8

Darn, Dylan, for $50 an hour, I'll put on a biniki and you can photograph me!
Old August 31st, 2002, 05:29 PM   #9
Major Player

I second that one, Dylan, maybe you'd be interested in doing "The Men of DVinfo.net" calendar?

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2002, 07:34 PM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Oh man! I just lost my appetite. ;)
Old August 31st, 2002, 08:20 PM   #11
Major Player

oh come on im sure it would sell! Hell i'm a starving film student i'll do anything for some extra cash ;D

Casey Visco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 10:48 AM   #12
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

when you "book" somebody for 1hr they have to set that day aside. they cannot accept a days work from somebody else.
IMO the min pay is 8hrs pay at min wage.
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 06:24 PM   #13
Wrangler

(shiver)
Ugh, Men of DVinfo.... OK, I'm sure we are a bunch of hot looking studs, but I'm still not going to do it!

Oh, I'm only paying $50cdn. That's like $10US. ;)
I figure sort of the same way as donatello, it works out to $56cdn.
Old September 1st, 2002, 06:56 PM   #14

Don--Under different circumstances, I might agree with you. However, these "models" are not professionals. Hence, I couldn't justify such payment. Regardless of the person or the job, model, photographer, carpenter, plumber, etc., I would not pay a full day's wage for less than a full day's work.

Keep in mind, too, most professionals, regardless which side of the lens their on, have an hourly rate and a day rate. These individuals shouldn't be treated any differently.
Old September 1st, 2002, 11:42 PM   #15
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

usually the less clothes the more models get PAID.

who's providing the swimsuits ?

also you could consider the following or a combination of all suggestions that have posted.

FAIR could be they get a % of the sales ? they come out and pose for free and in return they get a % if it sells?
their TIME is worth $. everybody is risking something on the adventure? you make nothing they get nothing.

how much are you willing to SHARE the returns ?

lets face it your calendar is NOTHING without the "cute " girl/woman/model. really doesn't matter if they have never done it before. it all comes down to how do they look in a swimsuit. they are SELLING your product ( calendar) or should i say THEY are the selling point! ( even if they are non professionals)

or you could offer defferred payment ? IMO defferred payment should be min 3X higher then normal pay. so if FAIR is 50 for the session then they get 150 defferred? now this way it cost you nothing up front but a little more in the end only if it sells.

bottom line is you could offer them NOTHING. if your project SELLs you can share NOTHING with them ... everybody's "fair" will be different. you can't sell the calendar without em ...
Don Donatello is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > Taking Care of Business